Something New | Teen Ink

Something New

By VastOcean BRONZE, La Canada, California
VastOcean BRONZE, La Canada, California

Something New

It was a cold, brisk winter where the trees had just lost all their leaves, and Christmas lights were just beginning to be hung onto houses and trees. As I slowly strolled down the street, one by one I saw hot warm houses steaming from the chimney and saw happy faces on all of the children. I’m not an ordinary guy. My family was broken apart when I was just a little boy. My parents got divorced each taking one of my siblings, but left me for last. They didn’t want me, nobody ever wanted me. Even at school I was discriminated for how I dressed, and how my hair looked, but little did the kids know that… I tried my best to look good for them but nothing was ever good for them. My whole life was a slope downwards. I don’t remember a single day where I had a genuine smile, and was actually happy for once. I wished every single day that something good…no GREAT would happen to me. Just a flash of luck is all I need to be cover up everything bad that has ever happened to me, and that was exactly what I got right when in March 20th I turned twenty-one.

March 20th was the day I could never forget even if I tried because that was the first day everything changed for me. On my 21st birthday I felt like that I should properly celebrate my birthday by buying myself something nice with the little money I had left. This was around the time I just lost my job, and got my last pay check. As I slowly strolled down the street of Foothill, I saw the most beautiful woman I have ever seen standing alone in front of a local taco bell. I saw that she was shivering, and had nothing to keep her warm. I would’ve helped her, but like I said earlier, nobody ever liked me, and the last thing I wanted was for a beautiful woman to ruin my day for me. So I just tried to not notice her and walk by as quickly as possible. Right when I was about to walk passed her, she fainted. I don’t know if it was luck or a curse, but she fainted into my arms. She was as cold as a block of ice, so I wrapped my jacket around her and carried her into the Taco Bell. As I lied her down onto a table, she slowly opened her eyes, and just stared right into mine. This beautiful woman staring right into my eyes and not freaking out...is this a dream..? Her face turned so red that she looked like a stop sign. If I placed her outside on the street, cars would’ve stopped thinking she was actually a stop sign. She thanked me. She THANKED ME. Who knew such words would make me feel special for once. Oh wait. Me... I asked her, “Why were you out in the cold by yourself? You could’ve killed yourself!” and she slowly but calmly replied, “I was waiting for my boyfriend to pick me up…” She said more, but my mind went blank when she said she had a boyfriend. I knew everything was too good to be true. Nothing this great would happen without some twist. Right when my mind tuned back in, she asked for my name and if I had a phone. Don’t get me wrong, I had a phone, but NOBODY has ever asked for my number. The few numbers I had were either the built in Verizon phone numbers OR service lines, but that’s a different story. Without thinking twice I gave her my number and she gave me mine. After that we awkwardly sat there, and waited for something to happen, and that’s exactly what happened. Something did happen. She got a call from her “boyfriend” saying that he couldn’t pick her up and that she had to walk home alone because he was out with his boys, and she was angrier than a Queen Bee losing honey to a stranger. She immediately hung up, and just rolled up into a ball. Trying to make the most of this opportunity I said quickly, “I’ve got nothing to do, I can walk you home.”She raised her head with tears in her eyes and had a grateful face on, and that’s when my life flipped.

Luckily, her house wasn’t too far. I let her use my jacket all the way there. We talked about our lives, and problems but I didn’t tell her everything of my life in detail like how I was left alone for most of my life, how nobody ever wanted to do anything with me, and how I was never loved or felt love. As we approached her house, she stopped and thanked me a whole bunch. I had to stop her because it was my first time getting thanked so I felt very awkward hearing so many all at once. When we finally got to her door, she handed me my jacket, and did something that I will never forget. She gave me my FIRST hug. The first thing that came into my mind was “so this is what It feels like to be loved…” She said that she would call me the next day, and went inside this house. I was still frozen in front of her house. Not by the cold, but because of all the events that happened in the past 2 hours. I forgot about all my troubles and past events when I was with her. She took me into a whole different world, and that’s when I realized that I NEEDED her, and that I WANTED her. My first love, but first I have to get my life straight, and stop holding onto the past. For twenty years, my birthdays have all been the same. Being alone and celebrating it alone, but not that year March 20, 2010. I experienced something great and wonderful. Something New.

This was a piece that was inspired by someone special.