Subscribe   Submit Work   Log In

Listless Sea of Life

O. M., Dale city, VA By Mckay, Somewhere, VA

Fish with sequined
skin and onyx eyes
fixed on nothing
in particular
swim aimlessly
and indifferently
through meandering
lifeless water.

Lifeless? Lifeless. Lifeless?
Or was it
full of life
but listless?

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

5 comment(s)
I feel like I have to think on this for a long time now... You've done a very good job of leaving a lasting impression on the reader.
Feb. 22, 2015 at 9:51 PM • Report
This is a grand poem. So full of whimsy, That last little ponderance... "Lifeless? Lifeless. Lifeless? Or was it full of life but listless?"   Oh my god, it's awesome. I've always seen fish as perfect little vessels of wonder. They don't really have a point, so they're never distracted by work or relationships or anything. They must see SO MUCH, those listless little fish, and have all the time in the ocean to appreciate it. But to us people, with all our purposes (whether real or imagined), we feel sorry for them. I think it might be awesome to be a fish and just float around digging everything.   This is probably my favourite poem of yours.
Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM • Report
I'm so happy right now. You literally made my day into a bright happy day, although it's about to pour like Niagra Falls here. Thank you for the comment and for your interpretation. XD
Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM • Report
I dont know why, but the last part made me giggle. Your right though! And its a very astute observation. I always thought of water as "teeming with life", but i also always saw the sea, full of sleepy fish and slow, huge sharks and whales, as being a quite and listless place, when its not storming (when it is, i would call it violent, not full of life.) You did a spectacular job! And, dispite my giggles, i really did enjoy it all, eslpecially that last part!
Apr. 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM • Report
Thank you. I love that you found some playfulness to this poem. Anytime I can make someone smile, to me, it's more than I can ask and wish for. 
Apr. 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM • Report