The End of the World Part 2 | Teen Ink

The End of the World Part 2

By joeyfitz17 BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan
joeyfitz17 BRONZE, Plymouth, Michigan

The End of the World Part 2

A few weeks ago we encountered something quite peculiar. As we were gathering berries in the woods, we heard the sound of gunshots and screaming. Now the only reason we have ever used guns in our village is for protection uses only with some exceptions during hunting season. It is now mid-January and we knew it wasn’t one of our hunting crews. What also startled us was that we never saw or heard anyone else for the many months we had been there. As we rushed to the seen, which was a large clearing in the woods, we saw a large grizzly bear standing on all fours advancing on people that we didn’t know. The men of our group quickly encircled the bear and started opening fire upon it. As the bear slowly sunk to the ground, the people got up and dusted themselves off.
They thanked us for saving them as well as introducing themselves. Of the group of 6, there were 2 couples, each with a child, one boy and one girl. Parker (41) and Mary (37) whose son was Phillip (18) plus Mary-Jane (40) and Bruce (41) whose daughter was Aubrey (8). Protocol was that we searched them for weapons, which we did and found 3 automatic rifles, 4 pistols and 6 knives, 5 large hunting knives and 1 smaller pocket knife obviously meant for Aubrey. They also were very well supplied with a 50 lbs. wagon of food, one 20 gallon cooler filled with water, backpacks filled with endothermic sleeping bags, flashlights, canteens, maps, compasses and a lot more.
When we brought them back to our village, we immediately started construction for their own homes. 2 small, log cabins was the plan but they asked for 1 larger cabin to share. They said they had grown very close together since everything went south. They told us that Parker and Bruce have always been best friends and neighbors so when the first missile was launched Parkers family went straight to Bruce’s fallout shelter where they stayed for several days before coming out and started walking from Ann Arbor to Lake Michigan. They had been on the road for 2 weeks when they came into that clearing and were resting when the bear wandered in and startled Aubrey. Parker shot at it but that only aggravated it. That’s where we came in.
Everything since then has been fine without any incidents. Word is though that the government is finally recovering and that there is a refugee center in Pontiac. Who knows if that’s true but until that is confirmed, we will go on like we always have.