Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Anonymous, Wilmington, MA

Katherine Boo's Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity is a moving modern take on two age-old issues: poverty and starvation. As you read, you will follow the triumphs and failures of a few of the residents of Annawadi, one of India's worst slums.

This book's unique set of complex and interesting characters will leave you wanting more. Abdul, a young trash picker and the sole bread-winner for his family, is wrongly accused of a horrid crime and forced to flee his home. Asha, a strong and wise mother of three, rises up to the status of slumlord with nothing but political corruption. Sunil, a bright and curious young boy, is the lone provider for his little sister and himself. And Manju, Asha's beautiful and smart daughter, is Annawadi's only college graduate.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

1 comment(s)
Kate M.
OMG..........I recently read this book n its amazing........soooooooooooo realistic n soooooooo amazingly writen
Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM • Report
Close