Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo | Teen Ink

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo MAG

Katherine Boo's Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity is a moving modern take on two age-old issues: poverty and starvation. As you read, you will follow the triumphs and failures of a few of the residents of Annawadi, one of India's worst slums.

This book's unique set of complex and interesting characters will leave you wanting more. Abdul, a young trash picker and the sole bread-winner for his family, is wrongly accused of a horrid crime and forced to flee his home. Asha, a strong and wise mother of three, rises up to the status of slumlord with nothing but political corruption. Sunil, a bright and curious young boy, is the lone provider for his little sister and himself. And Manju, Asha's beautiful and smart daughter, is Annawadi's only college graduate.

Together this cast of characters experiences ups and downs you could never imagine. Can they triumph and make it out of Annawadi? Or will they end up like so many around them: poor, sick, hungry, and stuck? The beautifully written Behind the Beautiful Forevers will open your heart and mind to a life of hope in the worst possible conditions.

Kate Matilda said...
on Apr. 29 2013 at 11:50 am
Kate Matilda, Beijing, Other
OMG..........I recently read this book n its amazing........soooooooooooo realistic n soooooooo amazingly writen