Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Little Boy This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By JonnyRingo, Saint Ansgar, IA

At the end of my block was an old basketball court that used to be the hot spot for after-school hangouts. Now it stood abandoned, with only the occasional teenger dunking basketballs through the net. That occasional teenager was me; I was the only one who came out here anymore.

Many would say this court needed to be removed, as it was in a state of horrible disrepair. Cracks in the pavement crossed the entire court in several places. A rusty, chain-link fence surrounded it, with thick vines wrapping around the metal in a tight embrace. A few bushes had made their way under the fence, sprouting up on the court side. Despite the conditions, this court was my sanctuary.
Basketball was my escape and I came out to this abandoned court to forget my stressors nearly every night, and tonight had been especially rough.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

1 comment(s)
theatregirl
This is a good story. It a tad stereotypical intercity fiction however, I think the writing style is good. I must common, the narrator voice didn't really envoke the the characters assume intercity background, however that just me. Over all good, keep writing, :)
Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM • Report
Close