Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

A Four Year Old and a Net This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By McKenna G, Amery, WI

Growing up on the lake, I have a lot of fond memories. Catching my first fish will always be the best childhood memory that I have, because it started a tradition between my father and I.

My mom had always loved sunsets, especially if they are over a body of water. On a summer day, my dad was fishing on our dock; my mom took me down to watch the sunset. Since I was only four years old, I couldn’t see the beauty in it. Now looking back I can picture it just perfectly- the sun was half way under the pine trees in a half spear of glowing orange light. The sky around it was a pinkish-purple that lead into a darker yellow and far in the distance, it turned into black. The low sun had cast a shadow on the lake that mirrored it almost perfectly, except the calm ripples of water moving it ever so slightly.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

1 comment(s)
JettaWintry
Few grammatical errors, but I really enjoyed it! It had a well-thought out plot and the personal experience was  very evident. I found it touching as well because my father and sister are so intrigued by fishing, but I'm more crazy about the sunset part of it all... Fantastic. Good job.
May. 08, 2013 at 8:41 PM • Report
Close