Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Unconscious This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Samaiya, Medellin, Colombia

There was a dead girl in front of the library this morning. She was breathing, but she wasn’t alive. Whatever existence she’d had during her few years – I calculated she was around 13 – certainly wasn’t life. She was tossed carelessly on the trash-­littered sidewalk in front of a boarded-up doorway, drugged and utterly unconscious of the world around her. The filth and stench of the city were caked into her skin. She seemed part of the garbage she was ­lying in.

My home in Medellín, Colombia, has a lot of poverty. I’m used to seeing dirty, starving children begging in the streets, unkempt old men sleeping ­under newspapers, and hopeless teen­agers forgetting their pain in glue and needles.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

20 comment(s)
Beila
We cannot always fix the pain. Thank you for your honesty-- a beautifully written, heart-wrenching piece.
Feb. 19, 2015 at 5:00 AM • Report
houston
amazingly beautiful, it shows how many few people care, and aslo how others react. fantastic! keep writing!
Dec. 15, 2014 at 3:15 AM • Report
KkatKreationz
I love this article! It's more than words can describe.  And In my opinion (Please dont get mad, its just my opinion)  Even if you believe God's not there, He still believes in you. 
Nov. 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM • Report
Neon_Gypsy_Blood
This is amazzing. It shows the best and the worst sides of humanity. It sets on display a hard truth that we all must accept in life: that sometimes even though we do the right thing with the best intentions, we have made no difference and good doesn't always win. This is very human. It's frightening and I felt convicted when I'd read it. It's raw and uncomfortable. But all in a very beautiful way. Well done. 
May. 09, 2014 at 4:47 PM • Report
AnjanaAshok
Coming form a teenager , it is absolutely amazing the kind of practicality you have brought into this. Great work.....
May. 09, 2014 at 5:43 AM • Report
Briipeaaa
This is absolutely remarkable; I myself live in poverty, and from my prespective, you put deep and truthful thought into this. Great job :)
Mar. 06, 2014 at 8:03 AM • Report
Rosalynne
That was touching. The world is so cruel
Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM • Report
AzureBlue
One word: ...Wow!
Feb. 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM • Report
ViatrixPaige
I found this work very touching. You spoke plainly about something that shouldn't be covered up with nicities. You captured the emotion and made the reader feel it too. I know I did.  I am very happy you shared this.  And I do believe giving your sweater made a difference. I wish there were more people in the world like you.
Aug. 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM • Report
.
I truly hope this girl will notice the sweater. Nothing is done for nothing. Everything is done for something. This small act of kindness you have shown? I think it will count for something.
Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM • Report
Close