Impulse by Ellen Hopkins | Teen Ink

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

By KallieN SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
KallieN SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

All teens should read at least one or two book by Ellen Hopkins. The books are about the teen life that is always hidden.

Ellen Hopkins books are about troubled teens that struggle with drugs, self harm, abuse, and family problems. A lot of teens don't know about that side of being a teenager, they are constantly told about it but they don’t care so they don't listen. Every one of her books is about a different struggle. It goes from self harm and suicide all way to drugs and teen prostitution.

The majority of readers are girls, although Ellen Hopkins has written about boys and girls. If you read all of her books, you’ll find out that all of her characters are linked together in some way. If teens weren’t meant to read these books she wouldn't write them as young adult books. a few of her books she wrote based on people that she knows, she just changed the name of the characters.

I believe that every teen should read her books during their high school life, because in some weird way you might be able to relate to one of her books at least a little bit.