The Living Dead | Teen Ink

The Living Dead

By Dcskate23 BRONZE, Jackson Center, Pennsylvania
Dcskate23 BRONZE, Jackson Center, Pennsylvania

If you have a mustache you can do anything!

The Living Dead
Chapter 1-A New World
I just woke up and it seemed like a normal day. I walked to the kitchen and noticed that Kaylee, my 8 year old daughter, wasn’t awake yet. “That’s odd. Oh well,’’ I said with a little affection. Normally Kaylee woke up at six and then bugged me to wake up. When I would finally wake up, I would pick her up and carry her to the kitchen. Then I would make her favorite breakfast, rainbow pancakes. “Kaylee are you awake?” I whispered. She loves to hide when I come in the room. I walked in the room and the window was broken and blood was on the floor.

I went into complete panic mode and searched the entire room to find her. She wasn’t in her closet or under the bed. I looked out the window and she was lying in the bushes passed out. I picked her up and laid her down on the soft grass. When I looked to see if she was hurt I saw a small gash on her arm. Immediately I ran her inside and wrapped her arm in bandage wraps to stop the bleeding. I completely forgot to check to see if she had a pulse. I put two fingers on her neck to check. No pulse. Tears slowly went down the side of my face.

Bawling my eyes out I noticed she started to get up. “Kaylee you’re ok! I yelled. When I was about to hug her I looked at her eyes and they were completely pail. Normally they were light blue so I knew that there was something wrong. She opened her mouth and blood gushed out, “Whoa, whoa whoa Kaylee what’s wrong!’’ I yelled in confusion. I stood up and backed up a bit. She got up too and she started groaning. I was scared to death that my little girl wasn’t the girl that I had raised.

I started running towards the house and she ran after. I broke through the glass shutter door and fell down onto the shattered glass. She pounced on me and I shook her off. I got back up and ran to my room. There was a rope I had laid out on the floor that I was going to use. I waited beside the door and when she ran in tackled her on to the bed. I started to tie her up and she tried to bite me. Luckily I got her tied fast enough so she didn’t bite me.
“Don’t worry Kaylee I’m going to find help.” I said to her. I didn’t think she heard me because she kept squirming to get out.
I walked outside and got in my car. I had left the keys in the ignition last night. I started it up and pulled out of the driveway.

I entered town and I noticed that that there were cars crashed into electric lines and police cars going off in the distance. “What happened to this place, It’s like a ghost town.” I looked all around and not a single person was outdoors. The buildings were all barred up. Then I saw a homeless man walking on the street. “Hey over here!” I yelled to get his attention. He looked over at me and he looked exactly like Kaylee. Gash on his neck and blood gushing out of his mouth. He started to limp towards me and then five more came from behind him.

I started running towards the nearest house. “Help, is anyone there!” I didn’t hear footsteps in the building and the five men were getting closer. “Please help me there’s men out her and there chasing me!” I started banging on the door hoping someone was inside. They were maybe a foot away and then the door opened and I was pulled inside. The door slammed shut and the man inside locked the door.

“Thank you,’’ I said in relief. “No problem,” the man said. I started to look around inside and there were 4 other people inside. “What’s wrong with those people out….” The man interrupted me. “Those aren’t people out there anymore.” The man was talking like this was something in a science fiction movie. “Then what are they?” I asked. It was five seconds before he answered back. “I’m not sure but I know there not people anymore.” He looked very confused. “I call them walkers,” a young teenager said as he walked out of the kitchen. “What’s your name?” the teen asked. “My name is Eric.” I said. “I’m Joey,” he said. “He’s Skyler,” he pointed to the man who opened the door for me. “And those two women over there are Ashley and Baylee.” He pointed to the kitchen where they were standing. “Now that buff dude over there is Darl.’’ He moved his head to the direction of the recliner in the edge of the room. Darl had on a black tank top with blood on it. Kaylah and Baylee were both wearing a sweatshirt and sweat pants. Joey was wearing a white T shirt and a DC hat. “When did I say you could bring in Negros?” Darl said with a threatening voice. “Darl calm down,” Ashley told him. “Fine but you stay out of my way.” Darl exclaimed with a less threatening voice. “How long have you people been here?” I asked. “Well about 2 weeks now,” Joey said. “How did you first find out about the infection?’’ Joey asked. “Well I just found out about it today when I woke up and my daughter was bitten.” I said. They started to look at me funny and I got confused. “I was at a hospital in a coma and don’t remember how I got to my house.” “So you were asleep at your house for two weeks,” Baylee said. I…..I guess so.” I was shocked that I had slept for so long and never woke up until now.

“Joey are those walkers still out there?” Darl asked. “There are five that were chasing Eric,” Joey said. Darl gave an angered look my way and said, “Well Eric since you brought those things here then you’re going to be the one to get rid of them.” I couldn’t believe he was mean enough to make me go out there and fight them alone. “You can’t make me do that I’m unarmed.” He knew I was right. I could tell by the way he grinned at me. “Fine you can have my knife. But you better give it back when you get back, if you get back.” He handed me and I gave him a nod of agreement. “I’ll go out too,” a voice said. It was Joey. “Thanks.” I said as I panted him on the back. “Follow me,” he told me. “I have a plan.”

He took me to the back of the apartment that had an escape ladder that he said lead to a alley that we could get to the walkers. We climbed down the ladder and started to hear the walkers groaning. “There just around the corner,” he whispered. “We can sneak around the back of them and stab them in the head.” He pulled out a knife of his own, now I knew why he said we. We got to the end of the alley and the apartment I went in was only a quarter block away. We crossed the road quietly and there were no others in sight. “Ok do you see the two in the back moping around?” I asked him. He nodded. “We’ll take out them first and then take the three at the door. He nodded again and I knew he understood.

We crept closer and closer until we were a yard away. Joey went up to the one on the right and I took the one on the left. I counted down on my fingers and on three we would stab. One, two, three. We jammed the knives through the zombies scull and they fell to the ground like ragdolls. “I’m glad they didn’t alert the other ones.” Now for the last three. Again we crept up again and I counted down on my fingers again. One, two, bang!

A gun has been fired a few blocks away and we both hit the deck. It definitely alerted the zombies because they started to head for the gunshot. I looked to my left and saw him lying. He wasn’t moving a muscle. I looked right and the gunshot killed the zombie. It was a perfect shot through the brain. The zombies have disappeared and I signaled Joey to stand up.

“Should we go check out who that was.” I asked. Joey gave me a nod. “I think we have no choice.” He said. We started to walk towards the area that we heard the gunshot from. Half way there we saw a bunch of dead zombies on the ground. All had the perfect shot in the brain. We followed the trail of zombies until we got to a gun shop. There were the zombies that had chased us at the door of the gun shop. Then a man came out of an alley and started to walk towards us. He carried a Barrett fifty cal. “Who are you?” I asked. He looked at Joey and then back at me. “My name is Nathan. Nathan Kanya,” he announced. “I’m a former US marine’s spec ops sniper. I resigned when I became a general after the Vietnam War,” he continued his story. “Thank you for helping us Nathan and it’s great to meet you,” Joey said as he thanked him and put out his hand.

“What are your names?” he asked. “I’m Eric and this is Joey.” He gave a nod and looked down at the walker on the ground. “These things are not meant to be up on earth’s surface again. They’re supposed to be dead,” he said to himself. “Do you guys need any supplies?” Nathan asked. “Yes if you have any to spare,” I replied. He then started to laugh. I was really confused why he was laughing, but then what he next said says it all. “I have enough supplies to last me an eternity!” he said with triumph in his voice.

We both gave him a shocked look and he laughed again. “Follow me and I’ll show you what I mean.” We started following him down a very long walkway that had a huge door at the end of it. It was made out of complete gold which glistened in the sunlight.

When we got to the door there was a digital lock beside the door that you used to open it. He placed his finger on the lock and then the door started to open. Inside was a huge mansion hidden by other buildings around it. You first walked in to a large entry way that had a massive shelf filled completely of only shoes. To the side of it was a statue of him made completely out of diamonds and gold.

The living room was just as great as the entrance maybe even better. The couches and chairs were made out of polar bear fur. The tables in front of the couch were made of diamonds too. The entire room was gold. There was no paint on the wall. Only pure gold. Joey and I’s mouths were wide open in awe as we looked at the room that the massive 130 inch plasma screen TV on one side of the wall. Nathan looked at us with a huge grin on his face. “Yeah I’m also really rich if you haven’t noticed.” He announced. “Trust me you haven’t seen nothing until you’ve seen the garage. Me and Joey both looked at each other with surprised faces.

We found out that he wasn’t lying because he had at least 30 Lamborghini Marcealogos. All with a different color. Not only did he have cars but bikes too. At least 30 of them. “So I guess you like my place,” Nathan said. “Yeah I do,” I replied to him. Joey was still over by one of the Lamborghinis with his face against the window. “Do you need any supplies like weapons and food?” Nathan asked. “Yes as much as possible and thanks again for saving us Nathan,” I thanked him. He nodded and walked away.

When he came back he had to use a dolly just to carry all the supplies and weapons he had all in a huge crate. In the crate were 12 assault rifles, 5 semi-auto pistols, a large amount of ammo, and 10 pounds of food of different varieties. Joey’s mouth completely dropped to the ground. I was just as amazed as he was. “You think that’s enough?” Nathan asked. “That’s plenty, thank you so much.” I said as I shook his hand.

As we walked out of Nathans house with the dolly I thought to myself that we may actually survive. Then I wondered what all the people back at the apartment would say.

When I got back to the apartment the sun was setting and I wasn’t going to be outside with these monsters. I got to the door and knocked three times and then waited. Skyler opened the door and welcomed us in with a little shock on his face seeing all the supplies. We brought the dolly into the middle of the living room and set the crate on the floor. “So I see the Negro actually brought something back to help us,” Darl replied with a angered look on his face. “Yes he did. He also deserves to stay here,” Joey said and looked at me with a smile on his face. “ I agree,” Baylee replied and came up to shake my hand to thank me. Kaylah just stood there and gave me a nod of agreement. I knew that Darl was pretty pissed off because he started to look at everyone with disgust in his eyes. “Well I don’t care about you guys but I am not staying with someone who’s not my color,” Darl yelled as he put his face in mine. “He just brought us weapons, food, and ammo that will help us survive and you’re just being a jerk to him. At least he had the guts to go out there and try where you just stood in the corner of the room acting like a tough guy when you can’t even keep your daughter safe.

That next moment surprised me a lot! Darl punched Skyler in the face and Skyler didn’t even move. He just stood there like a statue. I don’t even thing he was breathing. Then he put his hand into a fist and punched Darl so hard that he was knocked out cold. Darl’s body fell to the floor with a crash! Kaylah ran up to his limp body. Blood had covered his face from the blow. She put her hand on his face and started to scream for him to wake up. “He’s not dead Kaylah he's just knocked out,” Joey told her. “What are we going to do now?” I asked. “We can’t stay here it’s not safe. Did you hear those things out there? They wouldn’t go away from the door until I went out to fight them. My daughters still at my house and she had turned and I don’t know what to do with her.” My face said the word worried and everyone looked at me I sadness. Skyler came up to me and put his hand on my shoulder. “Eric I’m sorry, but your daughter isn’t the same daughter you had before. She is lost now and there’s no way to save her.” I started to cry and Baylee came up to me and hugged me. I couldn’t tell myself that she wasn’t my daughter anymore. It just didn’t make sense to me, but I knew that I had to forget.

Darl walked up to the crate of weapons and food and picked out an m16 and looked through the sight. “I’m surprised that he gave you so many supplies Eric. Most people don’t give strangers free weapons. Especially weapons as good as these.” Darl told me. “We better get moving if we’re going to get out of the city by nightfall.” Skyler nodded to him.

We walked outside with all the supplies Nathan gave me and all the supplies we could scavenge in the apartment. We also grabbed a couple of machetes and knives from Skyler’s apartment next door. Darl had a pickup truck that held 3 and Skyler had a suv that held 6 so we had plenty of room.

Driving down the road we went past the house that Nathan was in when I heard gunshots. Multiple ones actually. I looked at the front of the house and fire was blazing out of it. Nathan was outside trying to put out the fire while shooting zombies coming at him from the left. “Nathan get in!” I yelled to him. He looked at me and then back at the house and started to run for our SUV. I opened the door and he jumped in. Right as he jumped in he looked back and started to cry. Kaylah scooched over to him and started to comfort him. Now it’s time for us to leave this land in search of safer land.