The End of Smoking Tobacco | Teen Ink

The End of Smoking Tobacco

By jcayanan BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
jcayanan BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

If a sign says, “Warning: cliff ahead!” A normal person would not go straight down the road for the cliff, but instead stop and turn 180 degrees around to save their lives. So why do a majority of people still smoke tobacco even if millions of commercials and other warnings are constantly shown as reminders to the public media about the health hazards of tobacco? Avoiding the obvious risks of tobacco is basically just like avoiding the “Warning: cliff ahead!” sign. This explains that people who avoid warning signs will eventually go down the dangerous road and cause their own fatality. Also, the even more ridiculous thing is that the people who choose to avoid the obvious warning signs knew that something bad would happen down the road eventually. Smoking tobacco is just as similar compared to planning a suicidal plot. Therefore tobacco should be lessened or better yet stopped from being used, because it leads people to slowly kill themselves.

It is a fact that tobacco companies earn big bucks annually. Also, this is most likely the main reason why people have a hard time getting rid of their tobacco addiction. Most people don’t know that behind all the negative things media releases about smoking tobacco. Tobacco contributes to our community and our economy by so much. Some economic help that tobacco does that most people have no idea about are that tobacco companies donate millions of dollars to charities; help generate millions of jobs to workers and employers, etc. Even though large tobacco companies help the economy, smoking tobacco should not be a good enough excuse to let the harsh consequences of tobacco affect our lifestyle. Tobacco should no longer fool the human race. Although tobacco is highly addictive to the majority of the society, the bad habit can surely be broken. If our lives started out perfectly without depending on the inferior harms of tobacco, surrendering tobacco forever shouldn’t be a huge problem. Most people run to tobacco as if they are anti-depressants, but truthfully tobacco can make a person more depressed in the long run and actually not help out in a person’s problems at all. For example, when a person gets addicted to tobacco, health consequences may most likely occur and could lead a person into getting themselves in huge debt because of huge hospital bills due to the use of tobacco.

The pollution that three cigarettes can contribute to the planet is about up to ten times more pollution than a diesel car’s exhaust can possibly produce. I’m pretty sure everyone in this world is aware of how a humungous black smoke can visually disgust someone. Imagine if that dirty black smoke actually went into your system. Gross. In our current generation, global warming is alarming news that everyone is panicking about; and we are surely paying the price for causing it. It was pretty easy to bring pollution to this world, but it is definitely hard to remove pollution from our planet now. If humans reduce the use of tobacco every day, soon the dark shades of gray in the earth’s atmosphere will soon turn into the light-blue skies that everyone used to love and remember.

People make a lot of unconvincing excuses to keep on polluting earth, together with their internal organs little by little each day. It may seem ridiculous, but everyone knows it’s the truth. “Smoking tobacco makes a person feel better therefore boosts self-esteem, the flavors of tobacco is just like a piece of chewing gum, smoking tobacco makes one look “cool”, smoking tobacco isn’t even dangerous, smoking tobacco is not addictive, etc”. Here are just some of the pitiful excuses that people make to keep smoking tobacco. These are the excuses that the people that are in denial make in order to make tobacco seem/look less harmful to the image of society.

Tobacco successfully worked its way into our minds through reverse psychology. This situation can be compared to telling an infant to strictly not touch a fragile vase, and because of the temptation of wondering of “What is the worst thing that could happen if I touch the vase?” The infant will surely touch the vase and break the vase eventually. Tobacco companies effortlessly make big bucks because of these temptations. To end this madness, I propose a solution to raise prices of tobacco, and to lessen the amount of tobacco found in each box in order to prevent people from the harmful effects of tobacco. Although I wouldn’t support illegalizing tobacco because illegalizing tobacco could make situations worse and cause violent and illegal activity just like the current illegalization of marijuana. It’s depressing how easy it is to convince a person on doing something wrong, yet it is difficult to convince a person on doing something that would only benefit no one but themselves. Hopefully in a couple of years, the use of tobacco can be executed and be long forgotten.