Plastic Nike Shoes | Teen Ink

Plastic Nike Shoes

By haleymccullough PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
haleymccullough PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin

Plastic has influenced my life in lots of ways: from pool floaties to Crocs, to water bottles and binders used every year for school. But mostly, it has influenced my running.With all the technology that Nike has begun, plastic is being used more and more for running shoes. However, this is good for runners. Plastic is a durable substance that can withstand long runs, harsh conditions, and tough owners.The running shoes I have been using for the last four years are made of synthetic rubbers and different forms of plastic. In this way, plastic has changed my life.

There have been many debates as to whether synthetic rubbers are actually made of plastic. Most of the information I found has conceded that yes, synthetic rubber and other products used in my running shoes are considered plastic. However, it’s not just plastic. The names for the products are much more specific. The midsole, which is the surface that is actually run on, is lightweight, and made of several plastic substances: Phylon, Polyurethane, Phylite, and EVA. The outsole is, obviously, the outer part of the shoe. That particular part of the shoe is made of BRS 1000, which is solid rubber, durable rubber compound, duralon, and gum rubber.

Those big words mean a lot to me. Using the right materials allows for longer training runs, better performance in races, and healthier legs, hips, and feet. When I go on a long run, I need to make sure that I have enough cushion to take me safely through the entire way. Without this, my body would not be able to handle the amount of mileage that I complete

My father once told me that he used to run in high school. He told me he ran the mile, but he would never cave and tell me his time. He told me stories about how he would go for a run and not wear shoes, or how he would wear shoes with little padding. In the past ten years, he has had a double knee replacement and is in constant pain every day. He takes medication to moderate the pain, and sometimes, he has to just sit and rest his legs because of the issues his shoes started back in the 70s. If someone told me today to go for a run without shoes, I would laugh in their face. I know the problems caused when one runs with shoes that are not properly made. My running shoes are what have kept me healthy for the past four years, and without my shoes made of plastic, I would have missed many runs, practices, and memories that have made me who I am. Without the technology of plastic in running shoes, I would be in the same place my father is at: dealing with a painful knee injury that will last for the rest of his life. Thanks to plastic, I can safely enjoy one of my favorite pastimes, and know that I will be healthy when it’s all said and done.