Negative pressure | Teen Ink

Negative pressure

Negative Pressure

A definition for peer pressure is a social pressure by a member of one's peer group to take certain action, adopt certain values, or otherwise conform in order to be accepted; it can also be a burden of physical or mental distress. There are two kinds of peer pressure a negative and a positive. Most teenagers experience the negative peer pressure and they could die from it.
In the article "Say No to Alcohol and Drugs", is apparent. I found many interesting facts and quotes in the article. For example, “People know they shouldn't even waste their time trying to get me to drink. It's those middle-of-the-road people who have the trouble saying no"(Fleming)
. It's very important to know that many teens are pressured to do things that they don't want to, but they want to be a part of a group. That’s not good for them or anyone. Another example is, “It’s important to think to think to think about those actual decisions- making moments, so when that opportunity comes up, you'll give the answer you want to give"(Fleming). This means that it is important to keep on thinking to say "No" to drugs and alcohol. When someone asks you if you want to try them , you would have no problem rejecting them.

In the article "Stand up for yourself ", peer pressure is also evident. In the article, found many more and interesting facts. For example, “The more similar you are to your peers, the more you'll feel that you belong"(Shah). This means that the more teenagers hang out with their group of friends and starts being like their friends and acting like them, the more the teenagers feel like they belong with the group. Another example is “That type of pressure can influence you to do things you might not feel comfortable with"(Shah). When other people pressure you to do things you don't feel comfortable with by you know that it's not the best decision you make.

Although peer pressure is negative, it can also be positive. For example, in an article I read it states "You and your friends can pressure each other into some things that will improve your health and social life and make you feel good about you decision". This means a friend of yours can pressure you to do a good thing and could help you make good decisions and not bad decisions. You can also pressure your friend positively too. Another example is "It's important to be your own person and make you own choices!”. This means that people shouldn't let anyone change you or pressure you to do bad things or change who you are.

It's clear peer pressure is mostly native. In the article, it states example of negative peer pressure. Although peer pressure can sometimes be helpful, it is usually harmful, many teens get hurt or die. But there’s a positive peer pressure, and not many experience it. Hopefully we could change that in the world for us to stop using negative peer pressure & us positive peer pressure to motivate people more.