Secret life of a nurse | Teen Ink

Secret life of a nurse

By vanesa.aguila BRONZE, Mt Prospect, Illinois
vanesa.aguila BRONZE, Mt Prospect, Illinois

At Work
Walking in Mary sees the red cross. Everyday walking in with a smile on her face,regardless of what's going on around her. Waving hi to her co-workers, blue , there's blue all over. All the same with their blue scrubs, and some with their grey coffee mugs. Walking past everybody that's there Mary makes her way to her desk, to find her good friend already there. They start going over about what there is to do for that day. They realize they have that one older man today, he's sick and is getting old. And every time he comes in he's very rude to all the nurses. There's nothing they can do besides help out the man. Later on throughout the day its time for lunch and like the usual Mary goes in to the staff lounge and gets a her food from the white old fridge that's been there for years and goes to the vending machine to get her drink. After their break they go back to their desks and share the funny things that happened that day at work.

En Route
Finally out of work, Mary has finished her day. Coming out of the grey building she looks for her red Nissan, finally spots it and makes her way to it. She turns on the radio to 105.1 la Que buena where she proudly listens and sings to her Mexican music. Even though it takes her a while to get to her house , she doesn't mind. Half hour later after red,green, and yellow lights, she starts to see her little grey apartment. Parking her blue Nissan she sees her neighbor a good friend of hers coming out of silver lexus. They greet and talk for a bit as she's going up the white wood stairs that seem a while to get to her apartment.

At Home
Getting her keys she makes her way into her house. Hangs them on the little hook off the wall and sits on her green couch. She goes into her room to find her husband not there and she takes of her shoes and looks in the mirror. She gets the letter from her purse that one of her fellow doctor friend and begins to read it.The day comes to her mind again, she takes seat and looks at the date when she was given the letter. Reading in that dull white paper in black writing . It read how she was terminally ill and according to her doctor she only had about 1 year left. Reading it carefully it comes to her mind of how she would tell her husband. It had been three months since she had gotten that letter and to that date her husband hasn't known a thing. She reads it everyday and tears come to her eyes as she realizes everyday is a day closer to her date.