Growing Up | Teen Ink

Growing Up

By Leland7 BRONZE, Coronado, California
Leland7 BRONZE, Coronado, California

It was about two weeks before my thirteenth birthday and my parents had been telling me things are going to be changing. They told me that because they were going to start expecting more from me and making me work for things. I remember that day when they told me that, I was nervous a little bit because I didn’t really know what they meant and I was in seventh grade. As it started to get closer to my birthday I was anxious to find out what they meant by saying that to me and how things were going to change.

There was only a few days left till my birthday and I was excited to turn thirteen. Then came the day of my birthday and nothing yet had really changed. That day was filled with lots of excitement and I didn’t really think about how things were going to change like my mom had told me.

“Now that you’re getting older you’re going to have to start to earn the money we give you and start taking some responsibility,” my mom said seriously.

“Ok I get it you already told me but what do you mean by this,” I said.

“We will give you your list of chores tomorrow, you will be working around the house and helping us out,” my mom said.

The next day my mom gave me a list of chores that needed to be done in order for me to get any spending money or go out and hang out with my friends. My parents were doing this to me so I was disciplined and got in a habit of getting work done. Every day I had to do work around my house such as clean my room, make my bead, walk my dog, take out the trash, clean the kitchen and sometimes there was other things I need to do. I started to complain about doing this because I felt like it was a waste of time.

“I’m tired of this why do I have to do all this work all this sudden in order to get money or go out with my friends,” I said to my mom.

“Now that you’re getting older you have to get used to working for what you want you can’t just expect things to be given to you or you won’t be successful later on in life,” my mom said very seriously.

“Ok I get it, I will do what you ask of me,” I told my mom.
I was so mad at my mom for all this sudden making me do all of those chores and work for the first week but then it just became a normal routine. Now that I am older I completely understand why my parents did this to me, it was it to help me work for things and not be a lazy person who just expects things to be given to them. I have changed a lot since I was in seventh grade to now especially in the areas work effort and responsibility.