Rafting | Teen Ink

Rafting

My first time rafting was hard. The Boise River takes a long time to raft. Of course, not knowing this, I decided to go. WHAT A MISTAKE! No, not really, but it wasn’t what I expected. First of all, you have to keep your raft from getting deflated from the trees and rocks. Then, you have to keep your raft from turning over in the water falls. Then you have to be able to survive the rapids and the rapids are probably the hardest part of saying afloat.
But, my mom and I weren’t so lucky. When we got to the Broadway Bridge, we were heading straight for a pillar. Then I said, “What are you doing!?” So, to avoid the pillar, she used the back of the oar to push us away form it, but it didn’t work.
“I’m trying to keep us away from that post,” she replied hastily. We ended up tipping into the ice cold river. SO DON’T DO THAT! What was she thinking? Even in the middle of the summer, it was like my body was freezing from the inside out! You think Antarctica is cold; this water makes it seem like Mexico! It seemed to take forever for me to hit the water, but in reality, it took not even a second to hit the water. After we got back in the raft, I was shivering a lot.
Then we finally reached our end point, Ann Morrison Park. There we waited for the Barber Park shuttle to take us back to Barber Park, where we had started off on our long and unexpected journey. “I’m never going to float the river again,” I said. But that wasn’t going to be true. We then got in our car and drove home. I now float the river all the time, and I avoid that pillar!

natedogsbro said...
on Oct. 7 2008 at 2:35 am
well written. you kept it enjoyable through out and never missed a beat. good job, keep it up.

Jscobby said...
on Oct. 7 2008 at 1:17 am
This essay had great descriptive details. Well done.