Crazy for You by Best Coast | Teen Ink

Crazy for You by Best Coast MAG

By EpicBlair BRONZE, Bamberg, South Carolina
EpicBlair BRONZE, Bamberg, South Carolina

"The ones that mind don't matter and the ones that matter don't mind." - Unkown

She's a crazy, lovesick, under-the-influence cat-lover with her own band. Bethany Cosentino is one of the two members, along with Bobb Bruno, who make up the indie rock band Best Coast.

The California band's album “Crazy for You,” released in 2010, pays tribute to the sunny state and, coincidentally, Cosentino's cat with its bright cover. Its 13 tracks can only be described as love-pining, feel-good music. Best Coast is a prime example of a band that finds a good riff that works for them and then sticks with it to the point that one quickly realizes the songs all sound somewhat the same.

Each track is another rambling of Cosentino's uncertainty about her feelings and how much she longs for some guy. The simple lyrics are repeated over and over. Listeners may find themselves resenting the vocals' constant repetition, such as on the songs “I Want To” and “When I'm With You.” Accompanying Cosentino's singing are her ever-present “oohs,” which she adds to the background of almost every song.

The guitar riff is a simple two-chord switch, sometimes even just one, played slower and faster to indicate the chorus and calmer parts. Bobb Bruno's bass and drums are a little more admirable; while they mimic her easy style, they are more original and ­innovative.

Cosentino's voice is sweet and lulling as she drags her words out for a maximum smooth affect. “Our Deal” is probably the most popular and recognized song on the album and rightfully so as it is one of their best. The song was ­featured on VH1's Jumpstart with a music video that involved a plot similar to the movie “West Side Story” or S.E. Hinton's book The Outsiders. The track is short but sweet. However, by the time you reach the opening to “Each and Everyday,” you can feel yourself going crazy along with her. The song is fairly annoying and in-your-face irritating. Halfway through, a guitar breaks off sounding more like someone's computer freezing than a classic strum, and the end of the song's vintage recap does little to redeem it.

In a more positive light, the tracks “Honey,” “Good-bye,” and “Boyfriend” are truly enjoyable. Though they have the same feel as the others, they are better examples of the easygoing vibe the band demonstrates. The CD includes some pretty cool snapshots. Overall, my rating is two out of five stars.