Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Go Veggie With Style This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By MelodyBee, Tarrytown, NY

I am a vegetarian. Many people are quick to stereotype vegetarianism as bizarre behavior, appropriate for those on another planet. I treasure our Earth, and since we only have one, we should protect it and the wildlife that populates it. But that’s only one reason to be a vegetarian.

Vegetarians may live longer, healthier lives. There is a ­correlation between red meat consumption and diseases ­including osteoporosis, kidney stones, gall stones, ­diabetes, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, gum disease, and even acne. From an economic standpoint, it requires less land, money, and energy to produce foods for a vegetarian diet. While there are many benefits to being a vegetarian, only a handful of those who attempt to adopt this lifestyle succeed.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

16 comment(s)
Dani
So mature for a 7th grader. Beautiful story. I cantell how much yo miss your dad. Thank you for your sacrifice for the rest of us.
Jul. 02, 2015 at 2:12 PM • Report
Clinton_C.
Ok just for context i do not hate any type of vegetarian/vegan diets or any people who might decide to become one but being a vegetarian does not take being zealous its just being stubborn and unhealthy im my opinion and again im not trying to hate on vegetarians i just in my OWN opinion think vegetarianism is quite a dumb concept
Apr. 14, 2015 at 11:41 AM • Report
countrygirl28
First of all, I love your article. It is well-informed and thought out. I am a vegetarian, as well, and have been for for about a year and half. It is very easy for me since I don't even like meat. I hardly ate it before I became a vegetarian, and now I don't eat it at all. I am positive that I will never eat meat again. It's just not appetizing to me. Plus, I am a HUGE animal lover. The ironic thing is that I acutally raise lambs for human consumption through FFA, so people ask me how it's possible that I don't eat meat. It's simple: Why would I want to eat animals when I'm around them every day and see their unique personalities? Why would I have any desire whatsoever to eat something that was once living? I don't see animals as meat. To me, that's just gross. I absolutely hate sending my animals to the meat truck. It's disgusting and makes me feel terrible. Yet, I still love raising the animals and showing them, so that's why I continue to do what I do. I'm not in FFA to eat my animals; I'm in it to gain agricultural experience. Animals each have character, personality, and emotions. I think animal cruelty is extremely sick, and I will never take part in it. That being said, I am not offended when others eat meat, but I'm not going to be apart of it. 
Apr. 29, 2014 at 7:55 PM • Report
Clinton_C.
Not unless you need the animal or if its attacking you yourself
Apr. 14, 2015 at 11:32 AM • Report
countrygirl28
Apr. 14, 2015 at 11:08 PM • Report
countrygirl28
Apr. 14, 2015 at 11:08 PM • Report
countrygirl28
Apr. 14, 2015 at 11:08 PM • Report
countrygirl28
Apr. 14, 2015 at 11:10 PM • Report
countrygirl28
Apr. 14, 2015 at 11:12 PM • Report
countrygirl28
Apr. 14, 2015 at 11:12 PM • Report
Close