Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Teen Drinking This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Sarah B., Los Gatos, CA

Have you ever been offered an alcoholic beverage? What about someone saying “Don’t worry, just have one little sip”? Most people have their first drink by the time they’re 13. That first drink can be the start of a troubled life.

Drinking can make teens feel good, but that lasts only a short time. Teenagers on shows like “Gossip Girl” or “Degrassi” get drunk regularly, but those shows rarely ­explore the problems alcohol can cause. ­Alcohol clouds your brain and hinders your ability to make decisions. Excessive drinking literally makes your brain shrink and can cause serious damage. Binge drinking can cause learning disabilities and damage your memory. It distorts your ­vision and leads to blackouts. Teenagers often think that drinking will give you more energy, but alcohol isn’t an energy drink; it’s a depressant.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

7 comment(s)
GG_LeBode
I love the research put into this! It Shows the problem from a scientific perspective. Perhaps as a second draft, in order to make it more compelling and relatable, you could focus it around an antic dote of your own experiences with alcohol and/or binge drinking.
Jul. 13, 2015 at 10:40 AM • Report
Gavin.L
people who drink are trying to get their problems away but it only makes it worse this is such a bad world filled with bad people but good people are doing the right thing
Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:05 PM • Report
sbanimefreak
You are totally right about this! I just scrolled down the comments and I noticed some people going on and off about how alcohol isnt as bad, or how you make it sound too evil. But, the moment you start denying that something, wether it'd be beer or weed or whatever, isn't as bad as it seems... you are just putting an excuse for it. Beer is proved scientifically to be damaging to our brain and bodyand If we start treating smoking weed or doing any other drugs... just like the media portrays beer, we will surely end in a world full of drunk/high people and full of many many deaths!
Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM • Report
The_Health_Radical
This is a god article, well constructed, but the problem I have with it is that the statistics provided are almost irrelevant to the topic. Such as the people dying from alcohol car accidents every 33 minutes. I assume a teenager is someone who is still in high school. This statistic doesn't distinguish adults from teenagers. I know in Texas, you can not drive til you are 16 with a permit. So you basically have to have your parents in the car with you and any parent with common sense would not let their kid drive a car while they had previously been drinking alcohol. So these stats don't apply to kids, they apply to adults. Now i don't condone drinking, but there are many arguments that are flawed. I usually point those out because I am highly critical of what I consider is true, but nice article and very convincing.
Oct. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM • Report
ToxicAngel
I also completely agree!!!
Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:40 AM • Report
ToxicAngel
Me too. I agree. Drinking can be bad, but it can be a good thing too. Nearly all good things can be abused.
Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:42 AM • Report
ToxicAngel
I also agree with Matador.
Oct. 18, 2012 at 4:43 AM • Report
Close