Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

expired tuna in a bloated can This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

O. M., Somewhere, VA By MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time., Somewhere, VA

i cough and gag
and expel you
like an overdue hairball
stuck within my throat
some mindless lover
the future heartache
i will cause him
caught my curiosity
i lick my paws
to rid myself
of the rancid taste
of you
expired tuna
in a bloated can

Share this article:

Share on Facebook   Share on Google+   Share on Twitter

Join the discussion

46 comment(s)
I love this, not only because I am a self-proclaimed catboy. It is original, sweet, and is something I could imagine a published poet writing. Well, it is published, to be fair.
Feb. 15, 2015 at 12:09 AM • Report
My dear, Congrats on the publishing!! Is it just me or did you notice that the poems they chose from your collection and mine to publish this month are remarkably similar? Interesting stuff. I love this poem. Allthefeels.
Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM • Report
Coincidence? Fate? Destiny? I dunno. I will say that your poem "Food and Wine" was an inspiration for this poem and Fame Monster, primarily for the latter due to one image in your poem. I'm so honored that we'll share and grace the pages of Teen Ink together. It is striking how both of these poems, as similar as they are, were chosen to be together among other works. I remember how upset I was when I wrote this. How I wanted to ceate something unusual. Something that I wasn't used to creating. And here this blessed darling came about, truly ex nihilo. Now, I don't care about who I wrote this about. I'm overoveroverover. And FORGOTTEN. In the end, I think I might've won. But it's never really about winning: that's petty. But about being happy for yourself. And I can honestly affirm to that. Just so you know, I've began to write a little lately. Hope my writer's block is over, I think. Congrats, sister, you deserve all the praise coming your way. Thank you.
Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM • Report
Christian T.
This is a really great poem; it all ties together very well.
Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM • Report
Thanks, Christian T, fellow male writer. Nice to see  another guy who writes too. 
Sep. 02, 2013 at 8:20 PM • Report
Wow! The entire metaphor in this poem really reaches out to readers. I enjoy everything about it- to the bouncing rythym, the comparisons, the double meaning- I think this is a very creative poem that definetly deserved Editor's Choice. Well done :)
Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:44 PM • Report
Thank you so much, Hanban. I appreciate the feedback. I'm very happy for this poem too; means the world to receive such kind feedback. 
Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM • Report
Batman is life. we shall roam gotham streets and make people enjoy their days~!
Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM • Report
I couldn't have said it better myself. 
Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM • Report
First take I though you ate some nad fish and wrote a good poem, then I was is this about people and breakup and got more into it, then I was like r u a cat? But overall, I thought it was a nice cute poem.
Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM • Report