Ice Age: The Meltdown | Teen Ink

Ice Age: The Meltdown MAG

A fun-filled family movie, “Ice Age: The Meltdown” is about three odd friends who go on a journey to save themselves from their melting world and meet three new friends along the way.

With a cast as unique and hilarious as its characters, director Carlos Saldanha strives to make this movie come alive. Manny the Mammoth (Ray Romano), along with his unusual herd members Sid the Sloth (John Leguizamo) and Diego the Saber Tooth Tiger (Denis Leary), embark on an outrageously funny journey to help save their species from extinction.

Manny, after thinking he is the only mammoth left, meets up with Ellie (Queen Latifah), possibly the last female mammoth. There is only one catch: Ellie thinks she is an opossum, along with her two “brothers” Crash and Eddie (Seann William Scott and Josh Peck). Trying to cross the land where ice is quickly turning to water, Manny, Sid, and Diego also take on the task of convincing Ellie what animal she really is.

This movie teaches a lot about family. For instance, Ellie will do almost anything for her “brother” opossums, even risk her life. Also, Manny watches out for Diego and Sid even though they may fight like a real family at times.

Another theme - love overcomes all - is seen here too. Manny could have easily saved himself before the flood came, but he risks his life to save Ellie because he loves her.

With just as many laughs as the first “Ice Age,” “The Meltdown” is a must-see for all ages. From comic appearances from a nut-happy squirrel/rat named Scrat (Chris Wedge) to the hilarious scenes with the furry “Three Amigos,” you are bound to laugh. Although the love story between the two mammoths happens to get somewhat sappy and a little boring, it adds to the plot, making the movie full of both humor and drama.

I recommend this movie, not just for the laugh-out-loud characters and story line, but also because it is a great movie to share with the whole family while you relax and have a bowl of popcorn.