Code Yellow | Teen Ink

Code Yellow

By Primrose-Door SILVER, New York, New York
Primrose-Door SILVER, New York, New York

Nick was the only person in the Searston High School cafeteria who was standing on two feet. Everyone else was either kneeling by the tables or hiding under. He stood there, shaking, but this did not change the fact that the gun in Nick’s hands was still something to fear. Even if it was only yesterday that Nick had been sitting in the back where two students now lied. Their hands, shaking like Nick’s, were clasped together between them.Nick had already shot two people. Jenny had been one of them. I wish she had called in sick. I wish everyone had called in sick. Another shot rang through the air, making everyone wince, even me. But nothing happened. No one fell down with a bullet through their head. He had just done it to scare us. But for what? We did what he said. Everyone he had called, everyone who gave Nick a hard time, were on one side of the room while the rest stayed where they were. jenny and Michael, the other guy who had been shot, had been the first two in line from the list of names Nick had called.
I was third.
“Listen up!” Nick yelled, “There’s only five of you guys left, but it’s not gonna stop there.” He turned around and pointed his at the people on the floor, “You still need to deal with what you've done! For what you let them do!” He turned back to face us. “For ruining my life and liking it!” Everyone in line winced again, even though he hadn't used his gun. “So when I'm done here,” he said, clear as day, without shaking, “I'm gonna kill the rest of you. For pretending like I wasn't there! For laughing when they stole my clothes or beat me up!” This changed everything. My thoughts were still racing when a girl began to cry. Loudly.
Nick turned around and pointed his gun at her, “Shut up! Shut up!” he yelled. I had been hopeful when Nick had called my name. If Nick could do what I was too scared to do, then it would all be over. But, not them. Not these people holding hands and hiding under tables. They didn't deserve this.
Tackling someone with a gun isn't safe, I know. I was stronger than Nick, but Nick had the gun. A gun with the safety turned off. A gun that could shoot a bullet with the slightest flick of a finger. I tackled him as he turned around. His eyes went wide.
A shot rang through the air.

People are so quick to blame. My first short story.