What A Smile Can Hide | Teen Ink

What A Smile Can Hide

A smile. You can hide so much behind it. The brightest smiles can bury the darkest secrets and the deadliest stories.
See the thing about smiling with your heart is you become a person who's life is almost perfect.To your friends you become the bright and happy girl who doesn't need comfort. But what if you do? What do you do then?
A moment of weakness. We all have one. There are times when all I see are times when I've messed up real bad. Or when I've been hurt and weak and vulnerable. Sometimes I feel like screaming my lungs out because all I can see is my failure. I see other people and think "Where am I? What am I doing?". Sometimes I stare out into the darkness and think if I could change what people thought about me. Don't get me wrong. I've learnt not to care about that but still ya know, there's this small part that wishes people knew me for the real me. Respected me for who I am. The girl who smiles a lot, listens to a lot of good old school music, reads a lot, have dreams that are sky high and knows how to bury the past.
People say you must accept the truth. Believe it no matter how hard it is. But sometimes the truth is deadly. Sometimes it's better to believe that life's perfect and there's nothing wrong. Because the moment I accept the truth is the moment I stop living. Not die. Just be nothing but an empty shell.