Restoring Resources - Personal, Cultural and Institutional Solutions | Teen Ink

Restoring Resources - Personal, Cultural and Institutional Solutions

By Johanna Herman SILVER, Coral Gables, Florida
Johanna Herman SILVER, Coral Gables, Florida

In our society, most people are typically not thinking about long term global issues like sustainability, ways to reduce our impact on the earth, or how to restore and renew natural resources. Part of this is because we are involved in our day to day routines, and are used to the ease with which we can access whatever electronics, food, or other things we want or feel that we “need.” Therefore, the answer as to how we can reduce our detrimental impact on the earth is neither an easy one, nor will it be a quick solution. However, as awareness increases, there may be ways to lessen our impact. This resolution will require changes not only personally, but also culturally and institutionally.

First, it appears that many people may feel like they are just one person, and therefore, why would their individual efforts matter. What each person should understand is that the average American produces roughly 4.4 pounds of garbage a day, 29 pounds a week, or 1,600 pounds a year. This garbage, like diapers, plastic bags, and fast food containers, fill landfills. These landfills are a source of damaging methane emissions. For this reason, every individual needs to do their part, and change will happen. If each person carries a reusable bag to shop, there would immediately be a vast drop in waste generation. Recycling is another solution, including newpapers and plastic. Composting is another way that we can reduce our impact and preserve the earth for future generations. Of course, less reliance on fast food and the waste it generates, and more emphasis on slow food and organics would also lead good results. Working on an organic farm last summer, and learning about the way farming operations work and the efforts that go into crop production has definitely broadened my viewpoint. It will help me to convey these precious environmental concepts to others who may be unaware.

In addition to personal efforts, there needs to be a cultural readjustment. Globalization has resulted in the spreading of America’s bad habits, rather than good habits. Fast food obsession has even spread to China and Europe, resulting in less emphasis on slow food, growing organic crops with less pesticides, and more generation of waste. Globalization, however, is not always a negative thing. If used properly, it can also be a tool to spread concepts of environmental sustainability. If the emphasis placed on slow food and environmental awareness in other areas of the world, such as certain parts of Europe, spread to the United States, our nation could clearly benefit from it. Certain corporate giants, such as Whole Food Markets, are doing their part, such as the recent campaign in certain stores to donate a dime to a charity for each reusable bag brought from home which is used to pack up groceries. Other grocery stores, such as Publix, hand out reusable bags when six or more bottles of wine are purchased. If people show that they care about the planet, and demand changes, then such changes will come.

This leads to the third way that society can make changes, and this is on an institutional level. Just as I, as student, learn reading, writing, and math in high school, the public school system should require mandatory classes on sustainability, waste, and environmental preservation. Free government sponsored workshops should also be offered to the public, both small and large scale, in various communities. Corporations could also offer free seminars or education on these issues, and in exchange, would receive positive publicity which could result in more profit for them.

These changes will only come about when there is greater social awareness both on a personal level and on a corporate level. If each person believes that their voice means nothing then such change will not come. But if each person combines their voices and their actions, it could result in a crescendo of sound and action that will give rise to amazing results.

I was inspired to write this article during my summer at the University of Florida in the YELS program, particularly in connection with my volunteer work on an organic farm with Florida Organic Growers.