Holes | Teen Ink

Holes MAG

“Holes” is based on a great book by Louis Sachar and is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. It has a lot of mystery and surprises. Teens will relate to the characters because they seem like an average bunch of kids.

“Holes” has many stories happening at once that all come together when the main characters Stanley (Shia Labeouf) and Zero (Khleo Thomas) become friends. The movie takes place at a juvenile detention camp named Camp Green Lake, but there is no lake, only miles and miles of desert where the boys have to dig holes. The boys eventually discover that they aren’t digging holes for punishment but to find a buried treasure that the warden (Sigourney Weaver) wants. Because the characters are easy to believe and are normal kids, this movie seems almost believable.

Stanley’s grandfather was cursed for the promise he broke and Stanley thinks the curse has carried over to him. This movie makes you realize good things can come from a bad situation. While at Camp Green Lake, Stanley and Zero manage to solve a great mystery. I think they find out that sometimes fate brings people together. Zero was the one who got Stanley into Camp Green Lake, but they need each other to escape.

I recommend “Holes” to anyone who likes to figure out puzzles or wants to see a different kind of teen movie. This group of boys is a lot like an older version of the boys in “Sandlot.” “Holes” is a unique story of boys in trouble who grow up and learn about themselves. And who wouldn’t like a movie about ancient curses, old mysteries and buried treasure?

i love this so much!

KayVegas said...
on Oct. 24 2015 at 12:32 pm
KayVegas, Chapin, South Carolina

"I won't give up, no, I won't give in
Till I reach the end, then I'll start again.
No, I won't leave; I want to try everything;
I want to try, even though I could fail."

Whoa. Crazy.

Tris Prior said...
on Jun. 20 2013 at 5:53 pm
Just to say something it was Stanleys great-great grandfather who was cursed first. Other then that it is a perfect review. Good job

TheJust ELITE said...
on Apr. 10 2011 at 2:48 pm
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Madam Zeroni helped him raise a pig. After the pig was raised, he was supposed to carry her up a hill so she could drink from the same stream the pig did. He forgot about this promise and sailed to America. Madam Zeroni then cursed him with bad luck.

TheJust ELITE said...
on Apr. 10 2011 at 2:46 pm
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"When it’

The script was written by Sachar. How could it be bad? He kept it exactly the same as the book and it's like watching the movie in your head while you read the book. Sorry, but I think it's just as good.

on Sep. 22 2010 at 9:15 am
taintedannex GOLD, Hong Kong, Other

The truth is that at some point, everyone's going to hurt you. You just have to decide who's worth the pain.

Some say having something to lose is what makes you vulnerable. I believe that having something to lose only makes you stronger.

I have to say, I very much prefer the book over the movie. I feel there is so much more detail involved and the audience is much more part of the dual storyline. However, as it is a book-turned-movie, it's honestly not too bad. Not too much of the story line is missing, so even someone who hasn't read the book can keep up :)

on Mar. 17 2010 at 9:11 am
askdmdofpsdo GOLD, Beverley, Other
i had to watch it when i was doing media in my english lessons, i thought it was pretty good and the actors represented the characters in the book really well :-) x

angle said...
on Jul. 23 2009 at 4:07 am
i love uz kiss kiss xoxoxxoxoxox

on May. 31 2009 at 4:33 am
WHAT WAS THE CURSE ABOUT IN THE HOLES