Saving The Earth from Global Warming | Teen Ink

Saving The Earth from Global Warming

By Seobin Sohn SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey
Seobin Sohn SILVER, Princeton, New Jersey

Saving The Earth from Global Warming

“The most important thing about global warming is this. Whether humans are responsible for the bulk of climate change is going to be left to the scientists, but it’s all of our responsibility to leave this planet in better shape for the future generations than we found it.”-Mike Huckabee Temperatures have increased between 0.13 and 0.22 °C per decade since 1979, because of greenhouse gases. In 2012, the global temperature was about 0.57 °C above the long-term average for the 20th century, according to NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center. [1] Global average temperature increase leads to several environmental problems.
The general influence is that the earth is getting hotter. Didn’t you ever feel it? Secondly, the glaciers, in the whole world, are melting. Animals which live on them, like polar bears, are losing their shelter and will be extinct. Also, the sea level is rising so small countries will submerged. Tuvalu and Maldives are countries that are sinking under the water now. Another problem is that the natural disaster will increase because seas are getting warmer as the earth get hotter. For example, scientists have said that heat waves occurred four times as frequently in the United States on 2007 because of the effect of greenhouse gas emissions. [2]
Is it humans who created this serious matter? The first cause of global warming is the carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuel burning power plants. Between 1890 and 2007, the U.S. made 28% of the world total emissions. [3] This means that Americans used fossil fuel, humans are producing the emissions and global warming is getting worse. However, if people try to be focus on this, we can probably lessen damages from global warming. We can’t change the earth to the perfect place that has no problems by one day. But we can start to think how we can get closer to this global problem and implement little by little together. Be active. Save the earth so that your children can live well in the clean future.

Citation
[1] www2.ucar.edu/
[2] www.nytimes.com/
[3] http://en.wkipedia.org/wiki