Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Hurricane Eyes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Eden H., Clarkston, MI By dreamshakerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time., Clarkston, MI

My father has eyes like a hurricane,
layers of thunder and constant rain
that mask a rocky bottom.

He used to tell me stories of oceans
seas of storm-tossed waves
where people lurked beneath the
cool surface;
their songs buried somewhere beneath coarse sands.
Woven stories of sea dragons and
merpeople,
ships among starfish,
and a world of crystalline sea glass:
blues and greens that I can only imagine
mimicked his raining eyes.

The world he created is dormant now
landlocked and bathed in dust
and I know that he is stranded somewhere

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

4 comment(s)
dianepoon
I love this
Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM • Report
dreamshaker
thank you! :)
Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:44 AM • Report
dreamshaker
I realized that I never added an author's comment for this piece, so I just wanted to clarify some of the motivations behind it, particularly for anyone reading who I know personally. Please note that this poem was inspired by another piece of fiction, A Step From Heaven by An Na. I blended elements of the novel (the father's alcoholism/abuse, the mention of the ocean) with some minor elements of my own life/father ("hurricane" gray-blue eyes, "pockmarked yellow walls," erratic, destructive behaviors, etc.). While this poem does contain my own personal additions and experiences, however, it is first and foremost intended as a poetic interpretation of An Na's novel - the father depicted here, though he shares some real-life inspiration, is the father from the novel, not my own. Thank you. 
Jan. 09, 2014 at 11:48 AM • Report
beneathmyskin
this is beautiful! hang in there, i'm there with you.
Dec. 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM • Report
Close