Professor Layton & the Curious Village | Teen Ink

Professor Layton & the Curious Village MAG

Can a small town really harbor a treasure, a murder, an abduction, and a mystery that will leave you questioning the truth? The answer is yes; all of these are incorporated beautifully into the puzzle and adventure game “Professor Layton and the Curious Village.” This virtual work of art boasts superb audio and visual designs and a unique plot, vibrant characters, and most importantly, tons of puzzles that test your wit to the extreme.

Developed by LEVEL-5, this Nintendo DS game is not your ordinary puzzle pastime. The game begins when the professor and his apprentice arrive in the town of St. Mystere in search of an elusive treasure. As revelations unfold, players are drawn into the town's secrets. The surprises will tease you, and hours will fly by 'til the end is revealed.

The focal point is the puzzles that you must solve to advance. From math-related brainteasers to logic problems, riddles are hidden in every nook and cranny. There is ample room for engaging interactions with the vibrant characters. You may find yourself laughing at one citizen's needless rants, or weeping after hearing the story of a ­family's misfortunes. These characters will stay in your
mind as real people, not virtual individuals.

The audio aspects of the game are up to par with its other phenomenal features. Many fully animated cutscenes beautifully display the critical moments as if they were a movie. The hand-drawn, cartoon-like artwork adds to the fascinating abnormality of St. Mystere.

Even after the credits roll, you will still be guessing at what happened, and it is up to your imagination to fill in the blanks. Do you have what it takes to uncover the secrets of this curious little village?

on May. 20 2015 at 10:49 am
payney122 BRONZE, Monticello, IL, Illinois
I liked both the game and the points you made in the review, but I think you could have probably have done a better job explaining the puzzles, but it was nice how you described the art style and personality of the the characters.

YukiNagato SILVER, Fredericksburg, Virginia

"The world is not beautiful; therefore, it is."
-Kino's Journey

I've decided that Professor Layton is simply the best DS game series in existence. The third one made me cry so bad!!!! :') Great review, though!