Gay is Okay | Teen Ink

Gay is Okay

By Emilynicolel BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
Emilynicolel BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

Fourteen states, as well as the District of Columbia, have legalized gay marriage. Kansas, though, is not one of them. I do not possess such a fervent opinion that I would contemplate moving to another area because of this fact, though it is distressing that the state I presently live in does not support something I feel so vehemently about. I am proud to admit that I support gay rights in every way. I feel that it is not the responsibility for one to decide whom others are certified to be with, and I yearn for the day same sex marriage is legal in all fifty states.
Why is gay marriage prohibited in over half of the nation? Why is it abnormal? When you think about it you can fathom that all of us are alike. We are all people, citizens of the United States. We have the capability to love whatever sport, food, color, subject, and music in which we desire to love. So why is it that certain people cannot love whatever person they want to love? Some people are so opposed to the fact that being gay is even existent! It makes me wonder, what is the impact it has on you? Let’s say there is a gay couple living in the house next door to you. Does this fact harm you? Does it make you sick? Does it affect your way of living in any way? No, it doesn’t. (If it does, though, you’re just being outright adamant.) So please tell me, what is your need to worry and protest and blather about the couple living in that house?
It’s right there in the Declaration of Independence, “All men are created equal.” Written over 200 years ago and these men comprehended equality more than us today. Did we not learn years ago that discrimination is wrong? To judge a person based on their color is “racist” “appalling” and “unfair”. Though, judging a person based on their sexual orientation is acceptable? It utterly makes no sense. And did you know that 26% of gay, lesbian or bisexual teens are ousted from their homes? And 42% of all homeless teens are in fact, gay. These kids face every day with worry of not being accepted. To be ostracized is the last thing students at this age are looking for. And for those who have not yet come out to their parents, they face fear in the eye every waking moment; they could become one of those homeless teens, after all.
Come what may, being gay is not a choice. Ask anyone. You can’t just wake up one day and think, “I’m going to be gay from now on, because why not!” That is absolutely ridiculous. Look back at the statistics. A study by the University of Maryland revealed that lesbians earn an average of 14% less than straight women who share the equal age, education, skills, and residence. 28% of teenagers are thrown out of school for being gay. Around 85% of teachers refuse to address these topics in their school. The burden to be normal and the anxiety of not fitting in, being tormented and victimized in such extreme amounts that some say all they wish for is to be straight. And no one is helping them.
The stereotypes of gays and lesbians have become so common that we assume persons sexuality before we even know their name. Feminine, fashion-loving men along with shorthaired man-haters. The fact is some of these are true. Though are all blondes dumb? Are all 6-foot tall men basketball players? No. So why does hair make someone a lesbian? Why does an interest make them gay? Discrimination has been wrong since 1868. And now, we need to take a stand together, to make everyone aware and coincide that gays and lesbians are no different. They were naturalized in our country, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States. Just like us.

I am truly against gay discrimination, and will openly share my opinion with anyone on the fact being illegal in most areas.