The Stars | Teen Ink

The Stars

I hate Chicago. Not because of the busy streets and rushed people. Not because of all the depressing, homeless, and stressed individuals that walk the streets of the city as well as nearby suburbs. I dislike Chicago because when I look towards the night sky, i don’t see what Galileo, Hooke, and Hubble saw. I see fuzzy patches of light scattered aimlessly across a dark, somehow less appealing canvas. Sure, the Hubble Space Telescope website is always around for my viewing pleasures. But unlike the greatest minds that helped build our scientific basis for physics and astronomy, I cannot walk outside and see a light show of color, streaks, and brilliance. I find this slightly demotivating at times. It’s depressing how our country is so powerful, but to the point where we can’t see into the true past like we used to. Science, in my mind, is a form of art. It’s a form of expression in that when science is applied, real truth can be an outcome. The sky, stars, galaxies, and clusters of all these things combined is my form of truth. It’s not only real, but it’s also stunning, beautiful, and simply magnificent. However, when I walk outside and look to the sky, I don’t see such truth. I can only picture blinding lights all over the city, country, and globe. Not only blocking the sky, but distracting the everyday individual from being able to see real, natural light. Unfortunately, this is the case. When people around here look up to the sky, there isn’t much to be inspired by.

nancywhite BRONZE, Tustin, California

"life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

come to california! its a little better here, nicely written article.