Thou Mayest | Teen Ink

Thou Mayest

By mcarolyn334 BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
mcarolyn334 BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois

I have been the ruler of a lost kingdom, a time traveler to unknown worlds, and have trekked across the uncharted wilderness of the Alaskan frontier. Occupation title? Avid reader. As a young child, I devoured any pieces of literature within the reach of my stubby hands. I become familiar with subjects from the adventures of Harry Potter to the rediscovery of historical artifacts as presented by National Geographic. While reading I could escape my mundane existence into surreal fantasies.
The value of reading is often underestimated. The goal is not simply to be entertained or to memorize plots and characters; it is to expand your own mental and creative capabilities. Books have started revolutions, changed entire societal orders, and they have made me who I am.
One of my favorite quotes in literature is the piece of wisdom that Lee states in East of Eden, “But the Hebrew word, the word timshel—‘Thou mayest’—that gives a choice.” Just as how I can choose which literary character to morph into, I have the freedom to make decisions in life. I can choose to be the best version of myself.
I am an adventurer at heart and I wish to discover the world through my own terms. But I am not as much the valorous Don Quixote as his pragmatic side-kick, Sancho Panza. Although I may stumble in life, and even fall to my knees, it gives me satisfaction to know that these were my mistakes. Even when the wounds heal, the lessons learned from these experiences will be forever engrained in me. I am imaginative but at the same time firmly grounded. I may not be able to change the world, but I can change myself.