Marching Band: A true sport? | Teen Ink

Marching Band: A true sport?

By Cat_00 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Cat_00 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

"I think it means that all of the good comes out of you and it is your true self coming out. Along with a partner of course because it says 'we'. So you are not alone. You have a friend that will be there and you will both be 'glowing in the dark'."

Many people argue that marching band is a sport, but a sport, as defined by Oxford Dictionary, is “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.” Although marching band requires many hours of practice, it cannot be defined as true physical exertion. They practice in order to improve their instrumental performance, but playing an instrument and walking is not a sport.
Marching band has to practice during the summer for two weeks, while other sports’ conditioning lasts for two months; therefore, showcasing true athletic training.
Some marching band members say that they have to do push ups and laps if they make a mistake, but this does not prove marching band is a sport. Also, all high school students have ran laps and done push-ups one time or another, making it a standard thing. The amount of push ups or laps required for marching band is miniscule compared to other athletes.

Many marching band members bring up several points on why marching band is a sport; one being that they practice long hours, but so does chorus, drama, and orchestra. Practice is something that all people do. Others would say that marching band requires skill and coordination. This can be obtained easily and is needed to survive everyday life. Coordination is needed to walk up the stairs and to not fall down on your face. Another sample of people says that it requires physical activity. True, but so is walking your dog around the block but that does not make it a sport.

One thing that remains unnoticed is that members are labeling marching band as an extracurricular activity. Band directors (rather than coaches) refer to the members as “students” or “members” not as “athletes”. Instead of having captains, marching band has “section leaders” and “drum majors”. At competitions instead of using “referees”, they use “judges”.

Unlike sports, marching band is just a show to entertain the fans during half-time. Marching band is just a group of students in band that plays during football games, and could be seen as just an extension of concert band. The only difference is that marching band moves in formation. The moves that the marching band make are routine movements as opposed to other sports, which make plays on the spur of the moment. The movements are somewhat difficult in the beginning, but since they practice so often, they should be easy to execute and look flawless and accurate. Also, their instruments are added weight, but when you carry your instrument for a long time, you get used to the weight. Popular belief runs true in the students as many agree that marching band is not a sport.

This is a point-counter-point article.