Making Transitions | Teen Ink

Making Transitions

By Tamera Hopkinson BRONZE, Manhaton, New York
Tamera Hopkinson BRONZE, Manhaton, New York

Making Transitions

When I make transitions I make them everywhere I go. When I make transitions I make them going up and down the stairs, going to lunch, and going home. Making transitions is hard because it’s not like you could do it one time and your home and even going to a new school. I was transitioning to a new school, Harlem Village Academy Leadership.

First day of school I was so nervous I was thinking that no one was going to like me; it’s going to take a long time for me to make friends. Also, it’s the first day of school so EVERYONE was trying to make friends. They announced what class I was going to be in Notre Dame. They assigned us seats and as I was walking down the aisle people eyes were stuck on me like glue, in my head I was thinking why is everyone looking at me is there something on my face, in my teeth. I took my time and sat down.

Lunch time everyone was sitting in groups chatting laughing with each other having a good time while I on the other hand was trying to join in on a conversation but everyone just ignored me. I remember when I said hi to this girl and she was like “do I know why you are even talking to me bye!” I felt like I was going to cry. Today so far was not so good.

On my way home I was thinking about what happen for me not have a good day. As I walked in my house I ran to my mom crying, it was like a leaky faucet running out of my eyes desperate to escape from me. I tried to be strong but I couldn’t. My mom looked at me with care, love and, concern in her eyes and told me “what’s wrong Kalaya”. I responded by saying “I just had the worst day of school in my life”. My mom said ‘’it was only your first day of school don’t worry about it”. Be happy. I went into my room trying to think about those terrible events that happen today, trying to think about why this happen what could have been better. I was going to go to school and have a new attitude I’m going to be funny and make people think that I am not any quiet girl that I am pretty cool to hang out with. A smile started to creep on my face.
2nd day of school I came with a smile on face, happy to see what today was going to hold. I said hi to everybody in my class. I knew today was going to be a good day. Everyone was looking at me with a confused face but smiling like what am I doing? I knew today was going to be a good year.