Within the Eyes of a Broken Conformed Heart | Teen Ink

Within the Eyes of a Broken Conformed Heart

Non-Conformity, a 5 syllable word that can have a huge impact of some of life's biggest events. Bullying, a 3 syllable word that can have a huge impact on someone's life as well. When you put the two together, you come to get this sinister mixture that can end up being for the worst. Non-Conformity is not this colossal idea. Non-Conformity, according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, states that it is the failure of refusal to behave the way most people behave. Bullying is an injustice act where people mainly harass others for their own self satisfaction due to their own insecurities. Society pressures you to act out in all different ways, but bullying should never be one of them. As an individual, if you are doing anything out of the expected norms to affect the non-conformity of life itself, you are putting a tole on the circulation and process of nature. If one person is acting out of the normal and expected behavior people par take in, they are slowing down this circulation of nature by putting a damper on the perfect flow of nature. If everyone where to conform to societal expectations and do as they are told, nature would be able to function more smoothly and thoroughly. As well as being expected to conform to life expectations, it is common sense to treat someone as you would like to be treated. As a victim of years of being bullied, it is not a fun act to cry yourself to sleep every night. Being terrified of the outcome of tomorrow and what is going to occur the next day at school. It is not fun to cry during school because of the means acts kids par took in. As a child, or at any age, if bullied, you start to question yourself. You constantly have the thought, "If they think I am all of this, then I must be it". You start to believe these false accusations. You withhold this sense of loneliness and even start to question whether you belong or not, when really, you should not feel any of this. This so called thing we have in the world called "bullying" only exist because of abnormal circulation in nature. This "abnormal circulation" in nature is a repeating cycle that gets passed down from generation to generation. Society expects us to behave as other behave, but in life, unexpected events occur. These events just all depend on how you cope with them and that is the problem. If our society could conform, react, and handle problems in life the same, there would be no irregular flow of nature. There would be no bullying because bullying is caused by people who have tragic lives due to home-life, events that occurred as a child, etc. and they then take it out on other innocent bi-standards so that these innocent individuals can feel the pain that they are feeling every breathing second. It is confidence they withhold. Pain that disguises them. I say without a doubt that this is a repeating cycle because if you have a bad home-life, most likely your parents had a bad home-life as a child as well. This repetition of not being able to control our reactions in life is what is causing this altered flow of nature. As a transcendentalist himself, Henry David Thoreau once said, "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see". Thoreau sums of the saying that actions speak louder than words. If you look like a put together individual, but do not display the normal behavior of an average person, you have failed at life's non-conformity expectation. Even if you are a product of this abnormal nature circulation, be the bigger person and change what is occurring. Thoreau spoke these wise words once, "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. Thoreau says to stand up and do something different. By this, I mean either stand up for someone who is being bullied or if you are the bully himself, apologize to those you have hurt and /or stop bullying all together. The amount of organizations out in the world that revolve around bullying are immense. Stomp out bullying is an anti bullying and cyber-bullying organization for kids and teens. The organization's members contain many famous people that wish to stand up to this problem as well. Kids and teenagers remain to hurt themselves and potentially take their life away due to these awful individuals that call themselves human beings. What you give and show to the world can be the greatest life achievement ever if done right.

In my American Literature class, we have been studying transcendentalism and were given an assignment to write about a topic we personally feel connected to that relates to transcendentalism as well.