Equality Today | Teen Ink

Equality Today

By gkresak BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
gkresak BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

Equality is a word you can find in the dictionary. I can clearly read the definition and information about it. If it is so easy for not only me but anyone with access, then why have so many people seemed to have forgotten the meaning? The true definition of equality lies in the very same pledge people have made every morning as, "one nation under god". I can turn on the news at almost any time and see politicians and church leaders talking about gay marriage. So why is it that every morning the very same people as kids said this pledge bashing and against the ones who are different from them or do not share the same views.

The biggest way to help end inequality is to non conform. Don't place yourself on the same level as others who don't want to take action. They need to break themselves apart from the groups who may want change never want to do anything to make it happen. Being a leader and speaking out against the problems of inequality is the most important thing a person who wants to fix the issue can do. Non equality is one of the biggest issues we face today, but with people who follow the transcendentalist thought of non conformity are the ones who are going to help fix it. The people who choose to go against the norm are going to be the great leaders in the fight against inequality.

People seem to be aware of most problems of equality, but either have no interest in helping or don't know how to get involved. With organizations like The Human Rights Campaign people can help support and find more information about what's going on with equality. It has all aspects of equality working with it from gay marriage to religion. Another way to help in the fights is to find others who agree with your thoughts and ideas and come together to speak out against the issue. Surround yourself with others who want to set the world equal. With the help of organizations and people who are willing to fight against the social injustice, the battle of inequality may one day come to an end.