essay | Teen Ink

essay

By michael gutierrez BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
michael gutierrez BRONZE, Elk Grove, California

Three years ago the city of Sacramento could have lost their only basketball team! The Maloof brothers wanted to sell the team to Seattle because they offered them five hundred and twenty five million dollars. With the help of Mayor Kevin Johnson, Vivek Ranadive, Shaquille O’Neil and Sacramento Kings fans, the Kings ended up staying in Sacramento. The Kings fans were excited and the team became very strong when they found out that the Kings would be staying in Sacramento. Was it a good idea for the NBA basketball team, “The Kings” to stay in Sacramento? I think it was a good idea for the Kings because it will generate more money for the city of Sacramento, it will improve the economy by creating jobs for the people and it will enhance the downtown area.

Having the Kings stay in Sacramento will generate money for the city because the merchandise, food and parking fees will be taxed causing revenue for the city. Sacramento also receives a percentage of ticket sales and the King’s player’s salary. Season ticket holders generate money for the Kings. One famous season ticket holder, Barbra Rust also known as sign lady goes to every game and makes signs for the team. It brings in people from nearby city’s who will spend money at local restaurants, hotels and other businesses.

The economy will improve by creating jobs for the people of Sacramento. Currently Sacramento Kings employees such as ticket takers, construction workers, and maintenance workers consist of over hundreds of employees that work in sleep train arena. When the NBA gave approval for the Kings to stay in Sacramento they stated that a new arena must be built to replace the existing one. The new arena will be much bigger than the old sleep train stadium and will require more employees. The new arena is planned to be finished by 2016. This will create many jobs consisting of contractors, construction workers and many different trades workers.

The new Sacramento Kings team and the new multipurpose arena will enhance the downtown area in many different ways. This arena will occupy about three city blocks and the area surrounding the stadium will be occupied by new and upgraded restaurants, entertainment venues, hotels and parking structures. With all of those added amenities and the new downtown arena the people living in Sacramento and the people in nearby cities will want to be apart of this new revitalized downtown part of Sacramento.

It was a good idea for the Kings to stay in Sacramento because the new arena will generate money for the city, the economy will improve by creating jobs and the downtown area will be enhanced from the new arena. Being a Sacramento Kings fan I have supported them by going to many of their games and watching them on television. I’m very happy that they stayed in Sacramento so that I will be able to continue to go see their games.
Word Count : 505

this piece was about the kings.