Sports: Not Just a Game | Teen Ink

Sports: Not Just a Game

By Banana33 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Banana33 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

Sports: Not Just a Game

It is a common belief that participating in school activities is beneficial to a child’s development. Such activities can include clubs, school plays, study groups, or sports teams. Most kids generally gravitate towards the areas in which they feel most comfortable. If a child is not good at something, then they will not voluntarily put themselves in a position to do such things. Non-athletic kids will stick with the non-athletes, and the athletic kids will stick with the athletes. I believe that it is good to do the things that feel comfortable. However, I also believe putting oneself in an uncomfortable position is the best way to grow. I believe that all kids should participate on a sports team while going through elementary, junior high, or high school. This doesn’t just depend on whether or not the child is a super-star athlete, everybody should participate in order to develop into the best person they can be. Participating on a team sport is different than other groups and activities in that it helps the child develop physically, mentally, and socially. Other activities may only hit on one or two of these areas. Team sports, as apposed to individual sports, create a family for the child. Whether or not the child already has family, by having this “second” family, the child has the opportunity to form many new, healthy relationships.

I have participated in team sports ever since I can remember. It all started off with gymnastics and I basically tried every sport out there. When I got older, about 7th grade, I finally started to play basketball. I fell in love immediately and my skills progressed rapidly. I joined the basketball team at my middle school and continued on throughout high school. I know from experience what benefits come from being on a team. Many of the challenges that I faced brought me closer to my teammates; together we worked through the difficult times. Even though we didn’t always get along, we still loved each other like family. I would not be who I am today if it weren’t for my participation in sports.

There is undoubtedly a problem with childhood obesity in the world today. Children have become so accustomed to eating and watching television or playing video games instead of getting out and playing with friends. It is not always fun to just go exercise, which is why playing on a team sport is a great way to get exercise and have fun while doing so. When playing and competing, the child forgets that they are exercising. When physical activity is incorporated into daily life, children form new habits that contribute to the development of a happy and full life. Numerous physical benefits are associated with the participation in sports. Team bonding is one of the number one reasons why there is success in young athletes. Together, teams work hard and understand the benefits of training and exercise. Because of the difficult times that must be endured during practice, they realize in a game or competition that they are well equipped for any situation. Not only does this apply to the field (or court, or any other surface for that matter), but it also is applied to life in general. Playing sports helps build the confidence of young children and surrounds them with ‘family’ that will last a lifetime.

Not only does participation in team sports have physical benefits, but there are numerous mental benefits as well. Research has shown that exercise boosts the levels of good hormones in the body, which contribute to that “feel good” mood. These hormones are called endorphins and they come from regular bouts of exercise. Exercise is not always something that is first priority on someone’s agenda, especially young children. Playing on a team sport is an easy way to incorporate that exercise more regularly. Exercise is also shown to reduce stress and anxiety. Although it may seem ridiculous for young children to have stress, they certainly deal with it more than expected. Sports can be considered an outlet for the child’s stress and emotion. This outlet provides a better option than other outlets that could be used instead. While playing a team sport, children also learn fundamental skills such as problem solving, perseverance, and commitment. In a game or competition, things do not always go as planned. Problems come up and the players must figure out how to handle each individual situation. Because sports involve so much thinking, people often believe that it is 90% mental and 10% physical. This statement can be argued, but it shows that the mental aspect of sports is very important. Perseverance is also a major lessoned that is learned while playing team sports. Day in and day out the players must come to practice in order to get better. It is not always an easy thing to do and requires a lot of perseverance as well as dedication. Along these same lines, sports always teach commitment. A player will not get any better, or stronger, by simply not showing up to practice and not training. It takes commitment in order to excel in something, no matter what it may be.

Lastly, team sports build relationships. This is probably the most beneficial aspect of team sports. The relationships that are formed are remembered forever and the team becomes a second family to each one of its players. This is the case because, together, the team must endure practices, training, and competitions that may seem difficult at times, but in the end bring the players closer together. It is a well-known fact that nothing worth having in life ever comes easy. People become stronger and develop character through difficult times. There is no better way to go through these times than with people who support and love one another. Whether or not a child already has a loving family, the team that is built up around them can become part of that family, or may be the only family they will ever have. Just like families, teams are made of individual characters that make the whole better in their unique way. Each player can contribute something different to benefit the whole. Whether that is being the all-star on the team, or being the last person to leave practice because they always stay to help clean up, each role is important to the family. Everybody has their own responsibilities and everybody also learns to help one another with their responsibilities as well. Accountability is crucial and is a key factor when a strong family is forming. Accountability means that the players make sure they are all playing the roles that they need to play. Team work includes making sure everybody arrives to practice on time, maintaining the right attitudes, and staying focused on one main goal.

In conclusion, participating on a team sport is much like being part of a family. Every child should get involved because the lessons they learn last a lifetime. The child who participates on a team sport will develop physically, mentally, and socially. Positive character traits and habits will be engrained into the child’s life and will be used in whatever situation or difficulty they may face. Participation in sports is an opportunity that no one child should turn down. Even if they do not have one athletic bone in their body, there is a place for each and every child in the family.