Silver Linings Playbook | Teen Ink

Silver Linings Playbook

By Julia Brown BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Julia Brown BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

Silver Linings Playbook
This might be one of the best movies I have ever seen. This is a story of Pat Salitano (Bradley Cooper) who is undiagnosed with bipolar disorder and is determined to find his “silver lining”. Bradley cooper does a fabulous job of portraying the role as Pat in the film. Cooper is an amazing actor and can fit into almost any role he is assigned to. Pat struggles throughout the movie to accept the fact that his wife has cheated on him and left him for another man. Not only did she cheat on Pat, Pat walked in on the act! Not to mention when he caught his wife cheating on him, the song playing in the background was the same song played at Pat and his wife’s wedding. Pat lost his temper…And well let’s just say he had to make a stay at the mental hospital for 8 months. As soon as Pat left the hospital he was on a mission to get his wife back. Little did he know he would meet the girl of his dreams in less than a week.

While getting together with some old friends, Pat meets Tiffany Maxwell (Jennifer Lawrence) at the dinner. From the moment Tiffany and Pat meet, it is obvious that they both have mental issues and are lacking social skills. Tiffany is a widow, still wears her wedding ring, and continues to label herself as “married”. Tiffany is mutual friends with Pat’s wife and is willing to help him get in touch with her. Under one condition! Pat agreed to learn a dance routine for a competition that Tiffany had wanted to join. The more Tiffany and Pat trained and practiced for the competition, the more their chemistry and romance grew. Pat wrote a letter to his wife and gave it to Tiffany; however, Tiffany never delivered the letter to Pat’s wife. As it is getting closer to the date of the dance competition, Pat is starting the back out of the deal. The only way Tiffany could convince him to dance was to lie and tell him that his wife was going to be at the competition.

As soon as Pat and Tiffany enter the dance completion, Tiffany spies Pat’s wife with some friends of theirs and starts freaking out! Tiffany gets nervous and runs off to the bar. 2 glasses of vodka later… Pat finds Tiffany at the bar and yanks her away because it is their turn to perform. Pat and Tiffany’s dance routine may not have been as formal as the other contestants but it was more personal and spontaneous, showing their relationship and personalities through the routine. After the show, Pat goes up to his wife whispers something and walks away. We are all wondering what he told his wife. Tiffany got upset with the fact that he is talking to his wife and she leaves without saying goodbye. Pat notices that Tiffany has left the competition and chases after her. When he catches up to Tiffany, he calmly and romantically confesses his love for her. He tells Tiffany that he has loved her since the first night they met.

Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, and all the other actors/actresses did a good job of making it a believable, romantic, and comedic movie. All combined into one. This movie is so phenomenal because it has more character depth and emotion than your typical romantic comedy. I could watch it over and over again!