What if time happened different? | Teen Ink

What if time happened different?

By Mr.Harper BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Mr.Harper BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

It is a time of great anxiety in the world. Powerful nations are in a constant race to build larger armies. The Russian Revolution rages on. Communist forces have now seized the major industrial city of Moscow. The Russian Royal family was attacked by an assassin, Tsar Nicholas II and all but one of his children were killed. Anastasia Romanov was crowned Empress of all the Russias. The United States of America rapidly builds fortifications fearing an invasion from their southern half, the Confederate States of America. The Peace Treaty of Vancouver, to end the civil war, is rapidly falling apart. The American President, a young military man, Archibald Roosevelt, son of Theodore Roosevelt, looks eye to eye with an elderly Mary Breckinridge. President Breckinridge is loved by the southern people. She is known as the Iron Lady, and it is a common phrase in the south that, “We’ve all got another grandma in Richmond.”

World War I ended with slight German territorial gains at the Treaty of Copenhagen. Austria Hungary fell into civil war and divided shortly after the victory. After the great economic collapse, Adolf Hitler came to power in Germany. He promised a renewed economy and German Imperial Greatness. Poland decided to send aid to the Communists in Russia, still resentful of the partition of Poland by the Russians. The French begin building Charles De Gaulle’s defensive idea, the Maginot Line. Adolf Hitler publicly states “Germans across the Reich need not worry! The cowardly French are building fortifications just to give themselves a sense of security against our superior forces. They hide. We triumph!”

At the summit of Copenhagen, Britain was forced to grant India independence. Now Prime Minister Winston Churchill has ordered the invasion of India. In China, the government has fallen into disarray as Chang Kai-Shek scrambles to form an army to quell Mao Tse-Tung’s rebellion. Japan is slowly becoming more open to foreigners.

Mary Breckinridge, Anastasia Romanov, Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, and Chang Kai-Shek meet in the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg. After a few days of meetings between the leaders, they all emerge to give a press conference. All the nation’s flags were draped behind the podium, and Adolf Hitler was the first to speak. “Today, we entered these meetings as peers…” He paused for effect, it was his signature speaking style. “We emerge as brothers…” He paused again and then chuckled and said “and sisters too.” The press and leaders laughed. “I am proud to announce the formation of the ‘Grand Coalition’. A military, political, and economical alliance between the Greater German Reich, the Confederate States of America, the Italian Empire, the Russian Empire, and last but certainly not least, our friends in Asia, the Republic of China. Together we will defend each other and ensure each other’s continued sovereignty. As our first act of a coalition…” He walked to a table to the side of the podium. All the others followed him in line. He signed his name on the paper and walked back to the podium. “I, Adolf Hitler, Supreme Chancellor of the Greater German Reich, hereby declare a state of unconditional war to exist between the Reich and the Soviet Union.” He walked and shook Anastasia Romanov’s hand and stood in front of his flag. Benito Mussolini approached the podium, “I, Benito Mussolini, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Italy, hereby declare unconditional war on the Soviet Union.” He shook Anastasia Romanov’s hand and stood in front of his flag. Next was Chang Kai-Shek. Who followed suit as before. And finally President Breckinridge signed her name and approached the podium. “I, Mary Breckinridge, President of the Confederate States of America, declare war on the Communist Soviet Union. May God help us all.” Within hours Confederate troops were boarding transports in Savannah, Charleston, and New Orleans. German bombers roared across Eastern Europe and began bombing Soviet infrastructure. On January 12, 1940, the first Confederate Soldier set foot in St. Petersburg. Italian troops landed in Ukraine. The tide slowly began to turn against the seemingly unstoppable Joseph Stalin. The Iron Lady threw the Confederacy into a grand conflict. And the south had never loved her more.

When the Soviet Generals saw swastikas and the stars and bars they began to panic. The communists retreated from Belarus, giving the Confederates their first victory on Eurasian soil. In response, Joseph Stalin pleaded with Winston Churchill. If the Russians took control back of their original Empire, the coalition would control Asia, most of Europe, a solid portion of the Americas, and a large chunk of Africa, the likes of which they couldn’t compete with.

On October 15, 1940, France, Britain, the United States, and the Soviet Union signed an alliance in secret. They planned the downfall of the coalition. It was decided, assassination of the Coalition leaders would divide the nations. As Mary Breckinridge left a movie theater a man pulled a gun on her and fired. The bullet entered her arm and exited without hitting a bone or artery. In response she grabbed the gun and started to beat the man. This was all caught on film. The Secret Service pulled her off of the man and revealed that the man had Union dog tags on. Simultaneously, a bomb was planted on Adolf Hitler’s route to the Reich Chancellery. The bomb exploded and flipped Hitler’s car. Adolf Hitler climbed out unharmed, picked up his wounded driver and carried him to a hospital two blocks away. This was also caught on tape.

In China, the fledgling government had mobile response units in place. That way if foreign invasion came from the coasts, mobile military divisions would engage them soon after they began to land. Chang Kai-Shek was visiting the Chinese in Shanghai. He was speaking to the press corps that followed him around in the street with a breathtaking backdrop of the harbor. One of the press women let out a scream. From the port you could hear reality shattering blasts. Chang turned around to see the IJN Yamato firing on Shanghai. Japanese planes roared over the city in perfect formation. He yelled to the press “Get to cover immediately. When their troops get to shore show them your press passes and international passports, unless you want to flee with the Chinese.” Chang ran away from the port as fast as he could. Japanese troop transports began to unload hundreds of troops. The Chinese Navy was out doing exercises with the Confederates in the South China Sea.

Kai-Shek reached a police station and he started giving orders. One reporter had chosen to go with him and filmed his every move. “Police, start evacuating the people as fast as you can. Where is a phone?” One of the officers showed him a phone and they all ran out into the streets. Chang Kai-Shek picked up the phone and called the command HQ of Chinese mobile defense group center. “General Zongren, this is Chang. The Japanese are here in Shanghai. Their numbers are astronomical. We need everything we can possibly muster here in one hour.” He hung up and sprinted out of the Police station. He saw Japanese troops to his right and ran to the left. The Yamato’s 18 inch shells pounded the city. Chang ran as fast as his legs would carry him to the apartment he and his wife were staying at. When he arrived, he found but only rubble. Chang walked onto the rubble and found his wife. She was trapped under a bar. Blood ran out her mouth. She was dying. Chang held her in his arms as she muttered, “China needs you. Love her as you’ve loved me.” With that she fell limp.

Chang cried over her body for a few seconds before coming to his senses. Within minutes Chinese Air Force fighters engaged the Japanese Air Force. A dogfight was occurring over the city. A Confederate made Jeep pulled up to Chang as he ran out of the city. “Need a lift?” said General Zongren. “…I’m glad to see you” said Chang. They all climbed in the car. Chang ordered the young German reporter to turn his camera off. He did not protest. Chang drew his sword. As soon as they saw Japanese troops on their way out he said, “Get me close Zongren.” With one clean sweep a Japanese soldier lost his head. With no emotion Chang wiped his sword on his handkerchief. They rode out of Shanghai.

The Iron Lady survived a shooting and started to fight her assassin would be. Adolf Hitler climbed out of a flipped limousine and carried his driver to the hospital. Chang Kai-Shek gained the pity of the whole world when his picture of him over his wife’s body was circulated round the globe. Across the Coalition millions of men went to enlist. On November 2, 1940 Mary Breckinridge was reelected, without giving a single campaign speech or spending a single dollar on her reelection, with 97% of the vote. Adolf Hitler was voted unlimited Executive, Legislative, and Judicial power by the German National Congress; his term was modified to expire January 20, 1970. Chang Kai-Shek was given emergency wartime powers. The Alliance not only failed to eliminate their enemy’s leaders. They tripled their strength and stature in their own nation.

In the Reich Chancellery, General Rommel and Admiral Donitz unveil their plan to invade mainland Europe. Chang Kai-Shek leads his forces attacking Shanghai. Anastasia Romanov listens to her hourly briefing on the war with the communists. Benito Mussolini authorizes the building of a grand Italian fleet. In the Confederate White House, General Patton, and Admiral Nimitz present their response scenarios to President Breckinridge. She gazes out the window and paced for a few minutes…

“I’ve made my decision.”

Imagine a world where the American Civil War ended in a draw, World War I ended in a draw, and the remaining world powers all coexisted in constant fear of the world igniting into conflict.