The Giver book review | Teen Ink

The Giver book review

This interesting novel, The Giver by Louis Lowry captures the true essence of having a community that is subjected to sameness. To describe this wonderfully crafted story, I think a rainbow is a great symbol because there is no color in their society because it has been banned. Jonas, the main character, had to make a decision to move to a different community, taking all the memories with him. Color is a negative source because it brings independence and thats what government despises. They want the society in sameness not matter what they think, as to take their voices away. The only ones who can actually experience it are the receivers of memory. Only few are chosen to obtain the job because it requires the past to be transported into their minds permanently; the good and the bad
For me, the book was a positive experience and I would recommend it to other active readers as well. I would say that this book is very complex and made for people such as young adults. The book was very intriguing and I would give it 4 stars, also because Louis Lowry is very talented in making the reader want to know all the information on every page. In the book, the main character discovers the truth and what the government has been hiding from all of his community. Jonas has to make a big decision, a life-threatening decision that can affect him, the Giver, his family, and even his whole nation. The content in this book is very descriptive and interesting; it is a great book for anyone who is looking to find more information on the utopian and dystopian study.