A Turn | Teen Ink

A Turn

By ACohan BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
ACohan BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

Harry had always wanted to be a policeman ever since he was a young boy. A drunk driver killed Clarisse, his mother, when he was just eight years old. Nobody ever found the driver. From this age on, he became worried about the people he was acquainted with. He always felt that he should be the one to protect people all over his town, and he would be able to do this job the best. Since his mother had died, he believed that the policemen were not giving it their all and did not do enough to satisfy the needs of his community. Harry wanted to change that. He could not wait

As Harry aged, he did not change his beliefs. Instead of going to college, he went straight to the police academy. The chief of the city’s police department had already known Harry very well, and knew that he was perfect for the job. Harry had spent time with police officers throughout his city for years. The chief immediately accepted Harry, and started a brief training. Of course, Harry had already known most of what he needed to. In no time at all, Harry had started patrolling the streets; keeping citizens safe from danger and ensuring nothing “bad” was going on. People all over town became familiar and friendly with Harry. Everyone liked him and he liked everyone else. People felt safe with him around.

Gangs had started terrorizing the city, and Harry knew he would be able to stop them all. Instead of finding them and capturing them one by one, he thought of different plans to be able to use one to lead them to all the others. Harry would command team members to go undercover and find sources of the gangs. Finally, one of Harry’s friends, Mark, had started “dealing” with one of the gang members. Mark was going to be meeting the head of the Sikatow gang so he could purchase a few guns. These gangs were not permitted, of course. As Mark followed the man into the warehouse, Harry also discretely followed. They met the man in charge, White, and they started talking numbers. Mark wanted to keep the illusion going, so he continued to play along. “$3500 is too much, I am not willing to pay more than $3000. Give me that number now and we have a deal,” Mark said. As Mark and White were about to shake hands, Harry blasted through the window with a gun pointed towards White. Harry and Mark were expecting the rest of the team to also be shooting through the windows, but they were alone. It was as if the others had abandoned them. “Where were they?” He began to look around the room, and soon realized the jammers placed on multiple corners throughout the structure. Harry did not let things like this stop him before, but there was not much he could do.

There were other men working for White who had already had their guns pointed at Harry. With the blink of an eye any one of them could have shot both Harry and Mark. White began to walk towards Harry, and Harry was expecting death any moment now. White pulled a briefcase from behind him and started to open it up slowly. “Oh no! This is it! He is going to pull out a knife or a gun and just kill me!” Harry thought to himself. Whites hands finally came out from behind the briefcase only to let Harry see that he was holding money. Hundreds of thousands of dollars. “This is not even the start of it,” White said. Harry was better than this. He would never turn his back on his town, would he? He was hesitant. Whites men lowered their guns and gave Harry a moment to speak. No words came out. Harry’s eyes squinted along with his face changing into a light shade of red and his hands trembling. He reached out, took the briefcase, and gave a little chuckle.

White briefed his goals with Harry and explained all the tasks that must be performed; with the first being to shoot Mark. White handed Harry a small pistol and told him to fire. The gun was cold, and it forced a chill down his spine. Harry had seen the life of prisoners, but never from this side of the bars. Harry pointed the gun at Mark and prepared a shot. He saw White standing just ten feet to the right, staring him down. Mark was sweating. Harry’s face may have been a slight shade of red, but Mark’s was blood red. Harry was about to pull the trigger, but in a swift motion, he pointed the gun at White and fired, but only to hear a click. The gun was empty. This was a trick. One of Whites men shot both Harry and Mark, but the sound of gunfire was instantly followed by the sound of police sirens. Harry was shot in the upper thigh while Mark was shot in the shoulder. Harry had never been shot before because nobody really ever stood a chance against him.

White escaped, but a most of his men could not. Harry and Mark were dragged out and taken into the cars. Harry did not have the strength to keep his eyes open. When they did, he found himself in an emergency room with nobody around him. Soon a nurse walked in and called for the chief of the police department to walk in. “You did good, son. You did great.” Harry tried to force a smile, but he was sure that it was not as big as he was going for. The chief had even more bad news to share. Somehow, Mark was missing. Harry did not understand this. They were brought back on the same car. There was no way that one of them could have gone missing. The chief explained that there was currently a search team determined to find Mark, but Harry was anything but thrilled. In order to brighten Harry’s mood, the chief said that White’s body was found dead. Harry wanted to see this for himself. The chief made a quick call through his intercom and called for someone to bring up the body. Within a few moments, two men were up in the room with the body being held from each side. The chief looked at the two men with a bit of confusion. Harry did too. He took a closer look and saw that the faces looked familiar. He looked at the body and saw the hand twitch.