True Heroes with Special Needs | Teen Ink

True Heroes with Special Needs

By AyeshaZK BRONZE, Karachi, Other
AyeshaZK BRONZE, Karachi, Other

His eyes wander in search of someone to put his hand straight on to bed. He looks around for his siblings or his mother to help him move his hand and put it the way he wants to have it put. He is hesitant. He does not like calling them again and again to adjust his legs and hands and face and move them the way he wants. He keeps thinking all day that why can I not move freely like my sister or my brother or my mother or any other 22 year old who is not handicapped? He wonders ‘Why me?’

The sister comes along, plants a kiss on his forehead - a long and loving kiss. He smiles and his eyes twinkle. His face glows with his innocence and then without being told his sister puts his hands the way he wanted them to be put. She then sits along his side with Apricot Scrub Face Wash and Himalaya Herbals, a small pot filled with water and a towel wrapped around her brother’s neck. She starts to massage his face, rubs it gently, washes it and then dries his face and plants another kiss on his forehead. Her brother smiles – a heart warming smile. She then sits by his side again and exercises his legs, moves them to and fro. He is weak; His muscles deteriorating day by day. She sees this and notices the progress of her brother’s disease and what kills her is that she can do nothing about it. After the therapy of his fingers and legs, she plants around a dozen kisses on his forehead, messes his hair, combs them again, kisses goodnight and then goes to sleep thinking that she will never be able to cope with the loss of her brother’s life. She cries, steadies up in the morning and never leaves a single possible chance to make her brother smile the next day either.
What she does not know is that she’s strong. She’s stronger than anyone in her group of friends, in her school. She’s stronger than any of the adults could ever have been. She is strong and she does not know it. She makes sacrifices out of love for his brother that no one of her age could ever make. She looks after her brother the way a mother looks after her children, despite being only 17 years of age. She has been doing that since she was born or since she gained enough consciousness. All she wants is to have his brother cured and a happy, normal life.

The children with special needs are true heroes indeed. But never miss out the possibility that there may as well be among you a child in need of love, friendship and attention as well. Do not judge them by how aloof they stay or by their quietness because their lives have shaped them that way. Do not pass comments or judge them on this basis either. If you cannot put a smile on their faces, then don’t do anything else either. Those who deal with children with special needs are more than special too.

(True story of A DMD patient and his sister)

It's the story of my life.