Hunting for Hunters | Teen Ink

Hunting for Hunters

By timmisdatimmis BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
timmisdatimmis BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Hunting.
Hunting is a part of life. We need it to survive or else we wouldn’t get the necessary meats needed for survival, but is over hunting necessary? Do we really need to hunt for dears just because they are a living moving target for our overused weaponry? Do we really need to poach animals out of existence so that we can have bags that are made out of elephant skin? Do we really need to take the little the shark has that is edible and waste the rest to make shark fin soup?
The answer is no.
Although people have hunted for as long as we’ve been alive, we never could do it on such a large scale.
There are two types of over hunting. There is over hunting itself and then the subcategory of poaching, you may be wondering what's the difference. Poaching is when an animal is illegally hunted usually for something that it posses that is worth high value while over hunting is something that happens to deer and moose where they are the prime targets for the hunting sport. While over hunting is a idea that makes sense being that hunters like the adrenalin that comes with the pull of the trigger, poaching makes no sense. Poachers hunt things like rhino horns, elephant tusks, and tiger organs so that they can be used in useless medicines. A study shows that they do indeed not provide any medicinal value apart from making you believe that it helps you.
The poachers that do the hunting are conveniently placed into a situation where they can get thousands of currency for barely any risk or cost to obtain the weapons.The prices for skins and horns is through the roof on these items. One big horned sheep antler can be sold for 20,000 on the black market to this day. With that in mind, imagine how much it would be for 668 rhino horns that were confiscated in south africa in the BEGINNING of 2013. If we don’t put a close on poaching, gorillas could disappear from the large parts of the congo by 2020.

If we don’t stop this soon, imagine how big the toll could be on our future generation. As of right now, the species of the world are keeping themselves in line in such a way that we remain on top because there is no predator that can beat us, but what would happen if we took say sharks out of the picture. Those fish now without a predator might evolve to become a new kind of shark that is way worse than the previous sharks. In an alternate scenario, if we take too many animals off the house of cards of life, the whole thing might collapse. The reason I say house of cards is because one card supports another which supports another like animals praying and being preyed off by other animals. Its dumb how an animal that was supposed to live for a few thousand more years has to end its line because of us.

What these animals that are poached have to go through is unimaginably overprotected. The living white rhinos have bodyguards, yes bodyguards so they don’t get killed or stripped of their horns. The people who guard them swear there lives into the protection of the animal.
They can’t celebrate holidays.
They rarely see their families.
They give their lives for an animal.
Its sad that they have to do so for an animal that can forge for itself, but because of how sick money is, people stoop to ridiculous levels to become rich. It can feel pain its not like it’s any different than any of us besides on a physical level.
With all these facts in mind is it really necessary to kill that dear? Is it necessary to eat that shark fin soup? Is it really necessary to make millions on a species demise? It shouldn’t. It all adds up. It’s not like we go out hunting insects which make millions of new babies a day. We have to go after what our primal instincts tell us “SHINY!” and “SOFT!” Its the 21st century so why don’t we make due with what is renewable. Zoo’s are ok for the animals but its all artificial. The sooner we stop poachers and hunters killing animals by 1000’s a day, the sooner we will reach a better world not just for mankind, but for all the creatures of the earth