Racism At Its Peak | Teen Ink

Racism At Its Peak

By PhoxD BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
PhoxD BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

40 years ago, was the mark of the end of racism in America with the civil rights movement. Before this movement, races of all kind were being treated unfairly based off their skin color. Although racism has seemed to end, it still goes on in North America. Of course racism still exist, but one iconic man named Martin Luther King Jr. sent a message that all races should be treated with equality. Although his message was sent, looking back at that movement from this century, racism still spreads today. Racism in this century does spark controversies that make people think:

What happened if segregation or racism have never ended?
It could all start with one idiotic and judgmental comment.

Over the past years, racism has also spread mostly to media. TV, social media, the radio, newspapers, articles, or advertisements. This list could go on. Stereotyping is a way to discriminate a person. They range from sex, religion, or race. When it comes to race these stereotypes could be cruel.
Like ‘white’ skin colored people are rich.
Or ‘black’ skin colored people are considered to be ‘slaves’.

According to a DCentric article, there is a lot of bullying by race in North America.
Asian American teens are bullied more than youths belonging to any other racial group, according to new data from the U.S. Justice and Education departments. Teens aged 12 to 18 were interviewed for the study. More than half of the Asian American teens reported being bullied in classrooms, compared to almost one-third of white students. The percentage is even greater when it comes to cyber bullying; 62 percent of Asian Americans surveyed reported being harassed online once or twice monthly, while only 18.1 percent of whites were cyber bullied. Following with those percentages, 38.4% of African Americans were bullied by race, and 34.3% of Hispanics were bullied by race. If we do not prevent this racism and bullying now, the percentage of all of these races may increase.

A few year ago, a boy named Trayvon Martin was shot and murdered. This was caused by George Zimmerman, who later was arrested. After weeks of trials, he was let go and stated as ‘not guilty.’ Citizens of the United States saw this as an act of racism and discrimination. There were riots, protests, and even violence just because of this one case. After the Zimmerman verdict, President Barack Obama reflected on the discrimination that many African-Americans still feel. The president recalled how when he was younger and not famous, people sitting in cars would lock their doors at the sight of a young black man walking down the street. The people in their automobiles may not have thought their actions betrayed racism or prejudice, yet Obama knew he posed no threat.
Would there be people who would still lock their car doors today?

No longer are there separate drinking fountains or public facilities for blacks and whites, and lunch counters are open to all races. We've even elected a mixed-race president of the United States. Every once in a while we get a painful reminder that idiotic racism still exists. If anything, it is helped along by unfiltered access to social media such as Twitter and Facebook. A group once called the ‘KKK’ revolted against the freedom of races. This group is now inactive as ever, although it still goes on, but not a lot of people are left revolting with them. It is easy for Americans to congratulate themselves over how far they have come since the Jim Crow days of segregation and other examples of racial and religious prejudice. We've come so far with becoming all equal, but racism in this era is the thing that prevents our equality.
Although the spread of racism is still happening in North America, you could simply prevent it. Imagine being discriminated. It’s never a good feeling. Most races had to go through that decades ago, and they still go through discrimination on this present day. Just don’t be racist, discriminate, or judge others the way they look. All those factors could easily hurt a person. Physically and mentally. Stand up for others who are being discriminated just because of their race. Stop stereotypes based off someone's physical appearance. Don’t judge someone before you meet them, because you do not simply know who they are or their past. All you really need to do is be accepting and equal with others.
Who knows how much racism could affect you? You could feel discriminated or depressed. Preventing or encouraging racism or discrimination could turn you into another person. That ‘person’ could either be good or bad. You can choose this path as well. Even if you’re the “superior” race you’re still going to be discriminated no matter what. It could be days, weeks, months, years, or decades before racism could be stopped. Imagine waiting a whole decade before there will be equality. From what events that have happened so far, like Trayvon Martin, or bullying, racism still goes on. Racism could be prevented now.

You could help prevent racism.