We are all Human Here | Teen Ink

We are all Human Here

By aliprat13 BRONZE, Murphy, North Carolina
aliprat13 BRONZE, Murphy, North Carolina

One of the most controversial, and pressing, matters in our society is the subject of homosexual relationships and marriage. While civil rights have an opinion on the matter, many others have become biased due to their religion.

In America today only 16 of our 50 states have legalized same sex marriage; 33 other states though have banned same sex marriage and relationships. This has influenced more than just the relationships of people, it has influenced where same sex couples decide to live. 16 countries worldwide allow same sex marriage, first being the Netherlands. Some countries even have protection laws for same sex couples as prejudice threatens them.

Religion in fact plays one of the largest parts in the legalization of same sex marriage in the United States. Religions such as Christianity, Catholic, and Mormon have strict, but arguable, standards against relationships between the same genders. One quote from the Christian bible that refers to the topic is in Leviticus 18:22: “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.” Many strictly religious politicians take a stand against same sex marriage because of their religion, making it biased and unfair. This religious view is a matter of opinion and while everyone is entitled to their opinion, it should not affect the happiness and/or relationship of a large social class.

In the United States many same sex couples decide to adopt children. Politicians and citizens often are against 2 people of the same sex caring for a child. Thousands of children in the U.S are born every day to unfit parents and given away or taken away. If unfit couples are allowed to have children then why can a caring same sex couple not be allowed to have a child? All this prejudice is being discussed and over exaggerated in the U.S when there are more pressing matters happening. It only seems fair to allow everyone to live life the way they want.

I was very inspired recently to do a writing piece about gay rights. I have a close personal friend who recently told me he was gay. Although I was very supportive, it was hard to watch how others reacted. Enjoy.