The Bling Ring: Diamond or Dud? | Teen Ink

The Bling Ring: Diamond or Dud?

By 6minor GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
6minor GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

In The Bling Ring a group of fame-obsessed teenagers use the internet to track celebrities' location for the night in order to rob their homes. The director, Sofia Coppola, used young adult actors: Katie Chang, Israel Broussard, and Emma Watson as the main characters in the film that was first viewed at The Cannes Independent Film Festival in 2013.
This film shows young adults thriving to live the life of the celebrities, to do this they steal. While it has levels of extremes, the movie stays highly relatable and realistic.
Watching this film could bring the viewer exhilaration. This feel is very thrilling, and it’s effective at keeping the viewer intrigued. It shows young adults exampling rebellion and getting away with it for ten months.
The most interesting part of this movie is when you keep in mind that everything happening, is inspired by real events. It makes you think about how teenagers push their luck.
These kids got away with stealing from celebrities for a long time. When they were finally caught, none of them had received punishment as badly as they should’ve.
This movie should be watched knowing this was a real life situation and they did get caught in the end. While this movie is highly amusing, it can be slightly misleading. It gives the message that breaking and entering is okay as long as there has been no stealing involved.
In addition to being caught, this film is empathetic towards the characters- you want them to get away with it and the law enforcement is almost showcased to be the bad guy. In a lot of realistic teenager situations, the one who ruins all the fun would be the bad guy, and at times this can be the police/government.
This movie is geared towards the older teenage and young adult viewers, rather than preteens, due to the excessive amounts of partying, drug use, language and burglary. Also the desires of teenagers would appeal to those of a higher age, such as: rebellion, the glitz and glamour of the wealthy and living the fast life.
Overall, this film is going to be enjoyed by those who like the ideas of wealth and overindulgence.

Morgan G and I worked on this together.