Tragic Loss | Teen Ink

Tragic Loss

By Savanah Ebhert GOLD, Woodland Park, Colorado
Savanah Ebhert GOLD, Woodland Park, Colorado

Jenna loudly sobbed into her squishy pillow. Every terrible thing that could have happened, already had. Her eyes ached from the amount of water they had been producing all day. She sat up, which qualified as the first major movement she had attempted in hours. Food sounded absolutely disgusting, but her body was beginning to crave a tall glass of icy water. She pulled herself off of the bed and gazed into the mirror. Red splotches perfectly matched her bloodshot eyes. The mascara that ran down her cheeks gave her the appearance of a raccoon. What did she care? Makeup seemed utterly pointless compared to what happened yesterday. When she opened the door, the blinding sun forced her to remember the bright, colorful flashing lights of last night. Jenna shuttered and almost began to cry at this flashback. She continued to walk slowly down the stairs, not even worrying about composing herself for her mother's sake.

"Woah honey, what's the matter?" her mom asked and hurried over to give her a giant hug.

"I can't talk about it now, it hurts too much," Jenna sighed. "I'm just super thirsty."

Her mother poured her a glass of sweet, pink lemonade. "Ok baby well if you need anything, I am always here to talk to you."

Jenna trudged up the stairs, numb to the world around her. She flopped down on her soft bed. Her mind wandered back to the events of last night. His handsome nose and cheeks had the most wonderful ratio of freckles to skin. His big, brown eyes always shone when he looked down at her. The thought of his lips barely skimming hers made her start crying all over again.

"He is gone," Jenna mumbled into her pillow. "I won't feel his fingers running through my hair again."

In such a time of terrible tragedy, Jenna decided to call her best friend, Hailey. After five telephone rings, Hailey answered.

"Jen? Thank goodness you called! How are you doing?"

"I cannot stop crying and thinking about him. I can't eat or move. I was so so so in love with him! We were going to get married and have kids together. We were going to spend our lives together!"

"I don't want to sound insensitive, but don't you think you are being a little over dramatic?"

Jenna gasped in horror, "How dare you Hailey?! Just because you haven't experienced love's sweet touch doesn't mean you can tell me how to act! I called you for support, not to bash me in this difficult time!"

"I'm not bashing you Jen! I'm not going to say what you want to hear all the time! You are so pushy! You're acting as if your husband of twenty years just died last night! No Jenna! Your middle school boyfriend dumped you yesterday at the Halloween Dance. You've only been dating him for a few weeks too! Next time don't call me when you want to over exaggerate a stupid breakup!"

The phone clicked and Jenna sat on her bed in shock. She hadn't even exaggerated in the slightest. How stupid Hailey could be! She didn't need that type of negativity in her life. What a terrible best friend Hailey was. She didn't even bring her chocolate and a card, like a best friend should do! Didn't anyone understand how tough middle school breakups are? Everyone thinks they are so pointless and exaggerated, but in reality she felt as if her heart had been torn into tiny pieces and thrown to hungry, man-eating lions. Jenna couldn't see how that was an over reaction at all.