tombstone | Teen Ink

tombstone

By dragonlover BRONZE, Sierra Vista, Arizona
dragonlover BRONZE, Sierra Vista, Arizona

Tombstone AZ was an old mining town and has a western history and discovered by ED Schieffelin in 1878. The mines in Tombstone produced millions. Tombstone had residents of 15,000 at one time and twice there were fires that almost caused the death of Tombstone. Tombstone is famous for the O.K. Corral shootout with Wyatt Earp and the Clantons. Boothill cemetery is where the people from the O.K. Corral shooting, tombstone is where tourist likes to visit.
Tombstone is “the town too tough to die” the prospector Ed Schieffelin stood in Camp Huachuca and he looked on the mountains in the northeast. The rich color of the mountains looked like to him very promising so he decide to dig but the soldier told him about the Apaches who controlled the area. In 1878 he decided that he will go and find his fortune. After two nights of hiding from the Apaches, right next to where he was hiding he found rich silver ore.
Richard K.Gird, who saw the ore value, and he talked his brothers to be theirs partner. On the way back Ed found two places more with silver ore and the amount of silver was 40 million dollars and the amount of cash it would be today would be 1.7 billion dollars. This was the result this and other mines in the area between 1880-1886.
The fight in OK Corral in 1881 is remembered as the mostly notorious fight in the history of the town. The mostly the reason for the shooting was the fight for the political power in the newly founded Cochise County. On the one side was Sheriff Johnny Behan and Clanton clan who ran a "moonshine ranch" with stolen cattle and Stage robberies. The (relatively) good men were US Marshall Wyatt Earp, his brothers Virgil and Morgan, and the known alcoholic poker-playing gunman "Doc" Holliday. In the afternoon on October 26 came Earp brothers and Holliday to the corner of Fremont and 3th Street where five young members of the Clanton gang were looking for the possibility of a fight. According to the latest explanation of Ikke Clanton, Wyatt Earp pushes his gun in Clantons belly (stomach) and yelled “you can have a fight.” Clanton turned around and ran away. In About 30 seconds, 3 of Clanton’s men were dead and Virgil and Morgan were serious wounded. Earp brothers and Holliday were questioned in the court and found not guilty. Two months later around midnight a masked man tried to kill Virgil Earp.