Doctor Who | Teen Ink

Doctor Who

By RaquelGaribay SILVER, Lewisville, Texas
RaquelGaribay SILVER, Lewisville, Texas

"Believe you can and you're half way there."-Theodore Roosevelt

Madman in the box
Watching all the seasons of a TV show in a few days expose the signs of allowing an infatuation with a program, unfortunately this problem coincides with most people’s life. Accordingly, Doctor Who remains a worldwide popular tv show, originating in Britain. I started off watching the first episode named “Rose” at first I found the show to be a bit strange, definitely different from any teen-love soap opera I used to watch. But soon enough, after getting used to the new idea of having an “alien time-traveler” as a main character, I flew through the seasons so rapidly that I barely acquired time to process any of what I watched. Any time you finally overcome the peculiar obsession with the tv show or with the main character, a new season comes out with even more wondrous episodes, and sometimes even a new character to engross on.

Consequently, watching TV shows befalls an endless labyrinth that you cannot escape, but the reasoning behind Doctor Who reveals why the show perseveres as one of the most beloved program worldwide. Although this TV show possibly exists as one of the most strangest programs running, and sometimes the episodes fail, Doctor Who not only indulges in various genre within each episode, you reveal as seemingly and sufficiently entertained by the Doctor’s madness, almost like falling in a deep inescapable trance. Hence, any person that reveals uninterest with a show’s predictability, exposes their inexperience with Doctor Who. The show’s unpredictability keeps anyone crazed for more, especially with the new adventures waiting for you with the Doctor. His repeatedly new companions, and although this might frustrate you, they only add to the humor and enjoyment of the show; as they all embody unique personalities, some courageous and some thick-headed. The show as well continues with a regenerated Doctor when needed.

Accordingly, Doctor Who runs currently on BBC, with twenty-six seasons completed. Likewise, these numbers exhibit the show’s success, while also making you think of how this show remains viral among its viewers. However due to the shows eventual failure in 1989, the show ended, but later on the program re-established in 2005 and gradually gained popularity. Even though , “The Unicorn and the Wasp” revealed as the most successful episode, with 7.7 million viewers, personally I disapproved of the plot, because while the Doctor remained intriguing, the whole idea of a giant, mutated wasp and a woman giving birth to another alien wasp seems a bit far-fetched, and also by using another type of alien, instead of an immense alien-wasp. On the other hand, the various genre of drama, science fiction, adventure, and action keep the viewers content, while the different contrasting actors give anyone a character they love.
The story behind Doctor Who begins as an alien whose Time Lord roots urge him to travel throughout the universe, in search of something to recover the empty feeling in his chest, as the isolation from being the only time-travelling alien left continues to agonize him; his home planet left in ruin as a result of the Time War. The Doctor goes on to rescue an abundance of planets and their inhabitants, and at the same time continuing his journey with his seemingly endless companions. Furthermore, this show began in 1963 making this broadcast one of the oldest shows running, with currently eleven different doctors, as the two-hearted alien regenerates at every “death,” making him around 900 years old. The first Doctor portrayed by actor, William Hartnell reveals his mysterious, and wise character, although the show at that time revealed cheap and cheesy effects with somewhat terrible acting. Incidentally, the first Doctor appeared as a frail old man and yet overtook qualities of immense strength and will. He fought against his lifetime foes ,the Daleks and the Cybermen side by side with him companion, leading him to later on collapse inside the TARDIS and regenerate. Throughout the show the Doctor regenerates as a younger version of himself although his natural age continues to grow, and this aggravates me because they need to show the Doctor as an aged man to portray his wisdom and willpower to continue, no matter his age. Consequently, as we reach the last few Doctors, the 10th and 11th Doctor, played by David Tennant and Matt Smith, we see that his character transforms into one of playful demeanor, but sometimes perceived as serious and dangerously mysterious. As he continues to fight the resurrecting Daleks and Cybermen as well as many other aliens and antagonists, with his different companions Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, and eventually Donna Noble- all who come from Earth as Humans. As well Amy Pond, Rory Williams, and their middle-aged appearing daughter; also the wife of the Doctor, River Song; and his most current travelling accomplice, Clara Oswald, hence the Doctor’s impossible girl who saved him from his demise.
As the 11th Doctor remembers his past, and gains experience from his previous mistakes, he realizes the difficult course that he must go through and act upon. When he tells Clara his secret which not any person should know of, as he says the words he reveals that the secret lies in where the place of his death, although he exposes his inability to go there, he realizes that he must yet risk his life again to save others. His untimely near-death sacrifices signifies his disposition in saving the universe, mainly because he makes known that he remains as the only Time Lord able to. This symbolic meaning of the limits and bounds of the Time Lord, gives us the theme of that loneliness and pain causes destruction, as the Doctor in previous times had listened to the rules of Time, but now has decided to ignore them to save those whom he disclosed as unable to save because of fixed points in time , and eventually this mistake causes further pain and resentment, as everything goes wrong after he saves those whose future unveiled demise. The characterization displayed in this program reveals an increase in the Doctor’s awareness, although not always correct. Like the sun, the Doctor’s willingness burns so greatly, that he fears for what the future will bring, but saves others selflessly. Therefore the alien time-traveler from Gallifrey must continue to battle his enemies, and save the universe, while continuing in search for loss he feels.

More importantly, Doctor Who not only reveals a program full of symbolism and themes, the show also creates a sense of uniqueness, whilst revealing a great variety of characters that add to the humor and suspense of the show. The TV show not only make the top list in program ratings, Doctor Who gives a sense of admiration to it’s viewers- running for fifty years with dedication to those watching. With this said, anyone that searches for a program to watch, unsatisfied of the cliché soap-operas that most tv shows offer today, then look into the unnatural oddity of Doctor Who to feel surprised and quench the unsatisfaction.

I felt inspired by the show's uniqueness, and the director's creativity with the show. As well as I hope more people become interested in the show and enjoy the program as much as I have.