It Happens Every Summer: Arrowhead Play | Teen Ink

It Happens Every Summer: Arrowhead Play

By Nala.P GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Nala.P GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

The Arrowhead Theater is going back in time to the 1960’s with this year’s school play called “It Happens Every Summer”. The play is about a group of female intern journalists in the Big Apple.

There are a lot of interesting characters the play follows as they go through their training. This play is a lot of fun, especially the time period it is set in. The 1960s were a time of transition, with great music and FASHION. The costumes in this show are spectacular. The grand opening will be the 13th of February at 7:00 pm, and showings will continue until the 15th at 2:00 for eight dollars.

Lead director Maralynn Markano says, “They bring a lot of creativity to the table every single rehearsal. They are dedicated, hard-working and think ahead. We have lost four rehearsals due to cold days, but we are still ready to go!”

The cast consists of between 30 and 40 students. They spend time after school in practices working to give Arrowhead students a great show.

You can spot out some cast members at lunch selling tickets during their lunch hour in the following weeks. Tickets can be bought at the door before the play for eight dollars.

Co-director and choreographer Rayen Singletary says, “Every cast is different, and this one is no exception. We have a many “First timers” In the play this year, so it is nice to see the program expanding. Also, I love seeing the “Old-timers” step up and be leaders.”

Markano and Singletary said after doing Alice in Wonderland, they wanted something more realistic. Markano considered a murder mystery, but she said that didn’t feel right. Instead Markano turned to a familiar writer David Rogers, after purchasing his every script It Happens Every Summer caught her attention. Markano and Singletary said they both fell in love with the variety of fun characters.

Shannon Johnson, a senior actress says, “It’s a lot of fun, and you get close relationships with the cast and it’s just an all around great learning experience.”

Clara Matson plays the character of Flippy Wonder, “I love portraying the role of Flippy. It is a lot of fun to play such a vivacious character. I hope that the audience grows to like her as much as I have.”

Singletary says she most relates to the realistic, almost cynical character Gert who is the sassy receptionist. Markano says she is drawn to the liveliness of character David Rogers, but truly love’s a little something about every character.