When Money and Sports Mix | Teen Ink

When Money and Sports Mix

By Mason Hofstedt BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Mason Hofstedt BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Why should people with everything get more? They think a thousand dollars a semester is going to make a big difference but really the ones that they're trying to get money for are the stars and they're going to sign big buck contracts when they graduate according to the Huffington Post. My three main points are Tradition of NCAA, How they're paid already, and last, but not least, Older players greed.

The first point I'll be covering is the tradition of the NCAA. Some of the traditions are that collegiate athletes never have been paid before. According to Wikipedia America’s NCAA is the oldest standing amateur sports league in North America. If it’s the oldest standing league, then why start changing rules and destroy the legacy and integrity of the league.

Secondly, I come to the topic of how they're paid already. The first way is when they make it to bowl games they get perks like new phones, TV’s, gift cards,etc. The second way they get paid is by having their whole college career paid for by the school, unlike the people who have to pay for school by themselves and could be in debt the rest of their life because of it according to the Huffington post. They’re getting compensated for what they do, its just not with dollar bills.

Lastly, I'll be covering the greed of older players. The older players that made it to the big leagues and blew all their money then get cut are suing because they think if they're in video games they should be paid for it. Also they are saying there working so the athletes now benefit but all they want to see is a check in the mail according to Evan Weiner from the daily beast. Another thing they are suing for injuries and when you look at all the lawsuits it was because they had bad technique also by Evan Weiner. They're all just being greedy and are not looking for the best interest for the league and it’s players.

So, the points I covered in this essay are: Tradition of NCAA, How they're paid already, and last but not least Older players greed. The stars that everyone wants to get paid are going to get paid a lot of money soon so whats a thousand dollars now. Also they are saying that if there in a video game they should be payed is dumb because how honored would you be if you were in a video game. I think the argument about paying them is ridiculous and needs to be dropped.

I had to do it for a English project.